.iso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
If I have an .iso on my hard drive, how do I make that into a usable application? Thanks.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Double click to mount it, or burn it to a disk with Disk Utility.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
isos aren't applications, they are images. You mount them much like you would an dmg. What application would this be?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
isos aren't applications, they are images. You mount them much like you would an dmg. What application would this be?

It's probably better if we didn't ask. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Of course it's some sort of legal application. Don't ask and you won't get burned. Just help out with the carefully worded questions. :)

Plus, who knows, it could be an Ubuntu iso.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Of course it's some sort of legal application. Don't ask and you won't get burned. Just help out with the carefully worded questions. :)

Plus, who knows, it could be an Ubuntu iso.

Maybe it's Google Chrome OS in that ISO! :D

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so, if I double click the .iso icon, do I need to do anything else to install it on my hard disk, or will it "just work? lol And yes, of course it is legal. I am serious about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Have you even attempted a google search ? Come on just try to help yourself !

Clay

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok so, if I double click the .iso icon, do I need to do anything else to install it on my hard disk, or will it "just work? lol And yes, of course it is legal. I am serious about that.

An ISO is a disk image. Think of it like inserting a real disc into your Superdrive. Double-clicking on it doesn't install anything, it simply mounts the disc. There may very well be an application on the disc that can be installed, but the simple act of mounting it doesn't install anything.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you even attempted a google search ? Come on just try to help yourself !

Clay

Sorry. The reason I come here is because people know their stuff, and I do not have to sort through google search after search in the hopes of sorting through it all to find information. I thought that is what forums were for. Sorry if I offended anyone. See, I am new, and I do not know what "mount" means, for example. I am not exactly sure what a "disk image" is, and a wikipedia definition does not help me. I was asking for instructions.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry. The reason I come here is because people know their stuff, and I do not have to sort through google search after search in the hopes of sorting through it all to find information. I thought that is what forums were for. Sorry if I offended anyone. See, I am new, and I do not know what "mount" means, for example. I am not exactly sure what a "disk image" is, and a wikipedia definition does not help me. I was asking for instructions.

A disc image is a file that has been made of a real disc. Think of it as a disc that has been compressed into one big file. When you "mount" the disk image, it's like inserting the virtual disc into a drive.

So, again you're not installing anything, you're merely inserting the disc. It may very well have contents that can be installed on your system, such as a program, but not necessarily. It can hold anything that a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Oh no offense was taken...My point was that since you are skirting the issue of what you had on the .iso that you were probably not going to get us to help much more then was already done when CR answered your question some 26 minutes after you asked it yesterday !

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why does what is on the .iso matter if I am just asking a technical question? I said it is not illegal. If that is good enough, I will just leave this thread. Sorry for the trouble.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why does what is on the .iso matter if I am just asking a technical question? I said it is not illegal. If that is good enough, I will just leave this thread. Sorry for the trouble.

It only matters because we can't get into much detail as to the answer to the second part of your question of "how do I install it?". As I said, a disk image, much like a real CD or DVD, can contain just about anything. If it's a movie, audio CD, operating system, or a single application, it can be handled or installed in many different ways.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright thank you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If we knew what the image was for or what it contained we could help installing whatever it is. Care to share with us what it is?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, because it does not matter. You assume I am committing a crime, but I am not. With all due respect, I do not believe that an innocent man has to "prove" his innocence. It is the burden of the accuser to prove guilt. As I have said three times, it is not illegal. But nevermind. I will google it and do the best I can.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, because it does not matter. You assume I am committing a crime, but I am not. With all due respect, I do not believe that an innocent man has to "prove" his innocence. It is the burden of the accuser to prove guilt. As I have said three times, it is not illegal. But nevermind. I will google it and do the best I can.

It does matter if you want the help. Suggest you re-read the following post.

It only matters because we can't get into much detail as to the answer to the second part of your question of "how do I install it?". As I said, a disk image, much like a real CD or DVD, can contain just about anything. If it's a movie, audio CD, operating system, or a single application, it can be handled or installed in many different ways.

What the iso contains will affect how you deal with it.

It really has nothing to do with legitimacy here.

If you can't share specifically what you're attempting to do, you cannot expect specific help.

If you can't even share the general answer as to whether it contains audio tracks, a video, an OS X application, a Windows program/executable, or some other file types, then you can't expect to receive even a general answer.

C

chas_m

If you can't even share the general answer as to whether it contains audio tracks, a video, an OS X application, a Windows program/executable, or some other file types, then you can't expect to receive even a general answer.

+1, but no worries ... I think the forum's got a "read" on this poster now ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.