How do I transfer all my files/music/video on my XP laptop to my iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"/3.06Ghz/4Gb/HD4670/1Tb, iPhone 3GS 16Gb, iPod Classic 80Gb
After persisting with a very slow and decrepit XP laptop, I took the plunge and went for Mac. I've only just started using my new iMac but I want to make some headway on transferring all my data across.

Is there an easy way to transfer files? I have an external HD which already holds most of my music and I was thinking to just plug into the iMac and send the files across but can it be that simple? I don't want to install Windows via bootcamp because once everything is switched over that'll be it; and remember I only have XP which has been used and abused over a number of years!

Can someone please help me before I make a costly error! I've had a look at other threads but I can't find a satisfactory answer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You should be able to transfer the files by plugging in the external drive as you suggested. Since the external drive has most of the files you want I would try that first.

The other alternative is to transfer the files via network. The following information is for Windows XP and 10.5 but it should give you an idea of what needs to be done. I know I have seen something 10.6 specific but cant lay my hands on it at the moment. File Sharing With OS X 10.5 - Share Mac Files with Windows XP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.