Error 43 when reopening altered PDFs

z_g

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So here's a new problem: After rotating PDFs in preview so that I can more easily read them (they're scanned imgs of journal articles), I save the file so I won't have to rotate them again next time. Yet when I go to reopen the file I get a msg informing me that the application cannot be found, which is then followed by an "Error 43" msg.

This has never been an issue before. Any ideas?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do you have the file saved on a win machine with any of the following in the file name?

? [ ] / \ = + < > ; : " , | *

If so, rename the file removing them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
In addition to bobtomay's advice about 'illegal' characters, and chiming on this thread - the Preview issue and trying to Save As after making alterations to the document, eg. rotating, is a frustrating one.

I regularly scan music for ease of use, and it gets done in landscape because of the orientation of the original document on the scanner bed. I rotate the document to portrait and Save As, but Preview does not save the changes at all. I can get around that by using a different application, but Preview is very convenient.

To your particular .pdf issue, do you have Acrobat Reader (Basic or Pro)? If not, then that may be why you get the "application cannot be found" message. Has Acrobat Reader been shifted from Applications maybe? That said, I do note that it hasn't been an issue before, so what changes, other than those mentioned, ie. document names, might have occurred?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.