Just Switch...Need Advice

Reaction score
I just switched to mac and was wondering if having antivirus installed is worth it, also is there any free antivirus software you recommend?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I have one installed on my Mac and I run it once a month or so (when I run OnyX and calibrate my battery).

I only run it because I do not want to pass on a virus or trojan to my Windows buddies (Never had a virus or trojan show up in a scan, though).

As mentioned above, there is no reason to have an AV, this is not Windows.

But if you choose to run one, I would suggest iAntivirus. Just disable it from running on startup and disable auto scans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Trust me, read the aforementioned thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I'm running Win 7 via Bootcamp only because I have a need to run Outlook for work. Everything else I've found a Mac application for. Believe me I would really like to find an Outlook equivalent but have not so far. Also I have 3,200 contacts, to deal with. To the topic: I would _never_ run an antivirus app on the Mac side, its just not needed. Fear based selling has gotten out of control. There is no need for AV apps on a Mac.

Reaction score
I'm running Win 7 via Bootcamp only because I have a need to run Outlook for work. Everything else I've found a Mac application for. Believe me I would really like to find an Outlook equivalent but have not so far. Also I have 3,200 contacts, to deal with. To the topic: I would _never_ run an antivirus app on the Mac side, its just not needed. Fear based selling has gotten out of control. There is no need for AV apps on a Mac.

True, however AV's like Norton do monitor for other things like network attack attempts- for lack of a better phrase or word. (ARP Cache Poisoning is one example- I keep finding those in the network activity logs).

C

chas_m

I'm running Win 7 via Bootcamp only because I have a need to run Outlook for work.

Sorry for the momentary thread hijack, but I was under the distinct impression that Entourage and the trio of Mail/AddressBook/iCal *both* support Outlook / Exchange server email, but even if I'm wrong, MS just said that MS Office for Mac 2011 (which will, of course, come out in Q4 2010) includes OutLook for Mac, replacing Entourage. So you might well be Windows-free before the end of the year!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.