Iphone 3Gs sync Dilema!! I need to tap your brains!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just recently 2 things went simultaneously:

1) My Iphone 3Gs turned off permanantly and apple store gave me a 'new' one

2) My Sony Laptop (Vista) which had all my important Iphone information died because of the motherboard.

Fortunately, I have taken the hardrive out of the sony laptop and the hardrive works and I can see everything on that computer on another computer.

I have so many important notes (yellow) and numbers that were in my Itunes (they were synced to outlook)and were used on my old 'dead' Iphone 3Gs

My question is, how do I sync all that old info to my new 3Gs bearing in mind that all I have is the hardive of the now 'dead' sony laptop.

I have a macbook pro and another windows Vista computer to aid with this task...

I'm counting on you guys, please help...

Reaction score
As far as I know, you should be able to copy out your actual iPhone back up folder and put it in your Mac's, or another laptops, back up folder. You should then be able to restore the back up to the iPhone. I've heard of this done before but i'm not sure if it's that easy. The obvious first hurdle is to get your data off the old hard drive. Maybe buy yourself a USB HD case and use that to run the old hard drive. Details of where the back up files are stored are as follows..

iPhone Backup Location for Mac OS X

in Mac OS X your iPhone files are backed up at the following location:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

The (~) symbol signifies your home directory, which is the same place all your other documents are stored.

iPhone Backup Location for Windows

in Windows XP, all of your iPhone files are backed up in this location:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

or in Windows Vista (and maybe Windows 7), the location is here:

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Obviously if your main drive is not C: then you’ll have to change that, same goes for ‘user’

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.