lemon

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks CWA107

There's been no mention from apple of swapping or replacing my machine.
I have a 24" which is not a current model. (despite apple leading me to believe I was buying my computer in the middle of the model life, not at almost the very end, but thats another issue)
Their almost immediate response to the first warranty claim for the screen discolouration/heat issues was to refuse to tell me the status of the warranty claim and hide behind their agent who had to tell that apple had rejected the repair, claiming the screen cover was not covered by the warranty, the over heating issues weren't even looked at the first time around.
The screen cover was only replaced when I refused to accept their answer and made it clear I would pursue it though the Office of Fair Trading in my state.
The service agent told me they thought it was faulty and should be replaced, however it seems apple refused to believe their own agent.
I raised the heat issue frequently with apple but it is impossible to get a straight answer from them as to how hot the machine should get or how hot is too hot. I was concerned it had faulty fans as that googled up quite a few times as an issue with imacs.
I've even had a few of the apple staff admit they can't believe how badly some of my warranty issues have been handled by apple.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm really amazed at the kind of response you're getting (I know I've probably said that a few times already ;) ). Unfortunately, I just don't know how else to advise you. It does seem like you're getting some traction with the repairs, but I'm not sure I would be happy with that.

Sometimes it helps to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau Online (bbbonline.org), particularly after you've had several unsatisfactory conversations with the company. This way, they act as a neutral third party mediator. Usually when I have to resort to this, the company is pretty accommodating. No company wants their BBB score to be low or have unresolved complaints.

Reaction score
I thought you said it was being fixed?

BBB is a pointless org and most companies don't even care about it. (Apple isn't even registered with them) It isn't a government entity but rather a charitable one. Don't waste your time....

Have you asked for a replacement? Most companies are not going to offer that route unless you ask. Don't threaten employees with external action, be nice and ask. As soon as you start to threaten outside action a person will shutdown and you won't get squat. You have to keep your cool... I often ask employees how they would feel if this item belonged to them. Generally putting them in your shoes will gain you some sympathy and get movement. If you aren't getting results with who you are talking to then politely ask for someone in a higher position. Don't settle....

At the same time, coming here and bashing a company that many of us love is not a great idea either. We want to help but several of your posts make most want to just tune you out. We get your frustration, trust me.

That being said, I have had several warranty claims with Apple and have had nothing but stellar service. Because of this it makes it hard to understand people that say they are not getting that same service. That does not seem to be the norm...

Reaction score
I got to agree with the guy up here.
We do get our frustation.Its normal that something like that has happened with each of us, not with apple specifically, but with other products or companies.
Yesterday I took my mini to an apple store and they called me in the same day saying that they have found an issue and they are ordering a new mobo for the mini, that is 4 months old.
What is happening to you is not normal, believe.And dont let it make up your mind in a negative way about Apple, as hard as it sounds.
Good luck

OP
B
Reaction score
still dragging

It's still dragging out.
After taking my lemon to the apple store and speaking with an apple genius I believed they where fixing the issues and would contact me in around 3 days when the parts arrived and I could take the computer home until then. the genius also told me several times if the computer was dropped off in the morning it should be ready by the same afternoon.
I waited two weeks then phoned applecare for an update, all they could tell was my 'status' was unavailable and I could try ringing the store.
I called them and they said the parts had just arrived, I asked which parts and what they where fixing, they couldn't tell me.
I took the computer into the apple store today, hopping to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.
I asked what was being fixed on my computer (after apples previous attemts to deny a legitimate warranty claim on my computer I frankly don't trust them).
Despite several trips out to the back of the store the staff could not give me any details of what is to be fixed or what parts had supposedly arrived.

I find it ridiculous that apple can't tell me what is happening with my computer.
I wound up speaking with their customer service section, they are concerned that what should have been a 3 day fix it now over 2 weeks, they promise to follow it up and someone will call me in 1-2 days to tell me something.
*SIGH*

I'm not trying to bag all apple computers, but after 8 faults in 6 months I believe mine is a lemon, and apple has made the problems 10 times worse by consistantly failing me with their service and giving me a different story on almost every phone call.
Aside from being an easy, simple to use o/s, there is nothing good I can say about any of my apple experience.

OP
B
Reaction score
I picked up the imac on Saturday, had to wait 10 minutes for them to locate the box, power cord, keyboard and mice that had become separated from the computer.
They replaced the screen cover, power source and dvd drive, no clear answer on the bluetooth.
Unlike the previous drive which ejected discs very smoothly the replacement doesn't seems as well aligned, there a slight delay then the disc is jerked out and seems to scrap out of the slot. Two of the new blank discs I tried came out scratched.
I've burnt 3 discs so far, on the first one the drive made a loud whining hum, the second one burnt fine, no strange sound but it took the computer 3 goes to read it afterwards, the 3rd one according to the computer failed and could not be verified but works fine.
I've called apple care, they acknowledge they need to improve my apple experience and are sending out a tech with another replacement drive to my house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Now that's more like it, I hope. When will they be there... between 12 and 4? ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
apple yet again replaced another optical drive in my lemon. after them saying it would take 4 days to fix it took 30 days to get it right. this time the computer was tested to see if it worked.
it was interesting that neither apple customer service (level 2) or the technician had a single good word to say about the customer service for repairs in apple stores.
The technician said it had taken 1 day to get the part in, when I told him the apple store supposedly took 14 days to get parts in, he said they where lying.

So I'll cross my fingers and hope that I finally have a reliable computer. :D

OP
B
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a good external optical drive?

Can anyone recommend a good external optical drive for an imac?

The 3rd drive I've had in my imac still doesn't burn discs successfully and scratches them when ejected. I don't really want to bother waiting even longer for apple to try and fix it a 3rd time, it seems pointless.

Does anyone have an apple that burns discs successfully every time or it 'normal' for an apple to fail on every 2nd or 3rd disc?

The irony is that the original drive didn't scratch the discs, it just seemed to overheat on the 2nd or 3rd disc, but at least i could get one good disc burnt.

Reaction score
I've had to deal with Apple customer service twice regarding my MacBook (two HDD failures, about a year apart)

The first HDD failure was dealt with over the phone (we didn't have an Apple store around at the time) and after explaining the problem, they shipped a box to my house to send out my MB for repair. I got the box the next day (very impressed) and sent it out that same day.. Two days later, I have my fixed MacBook! The turn around time and professionalism shown by the Applecare tech over the phone was service I'm not accustomed to by call center associates.

Usually when I call other companies customer support, I get foreign speaking people whom I don't exactly understand. I also usually seem to get the people who feel as if they are working the worst job in the world and their answers are often times robot/drone like. I prefer to stay away from 1-800 customer service # all together. But obviously, at this time, I had no choice.. Glad it worked out the way it did!

Second time my MacBooks HDD failed well, a new Apple Store just opened up shortly before this problem arose about 40 minutes from my house. I made an appointment online with the Genius Bar to take a looksie at my MacBook.

Got there 15 minutes before my scheduled appointment and since one of the "Geniuses" had an opening, he took me right then and there. After explaining the problem, he took it back to the back, came back out about 5 minutes later with the paperwork for me to sign off on the work order and said it'd be "15 minutes"..

I gladly looked around the new store while my MacBook was being fixed (my g/f was having a blast playing around with the various machines/iPods, so much so I had to buy her a new Nano :)) and about 15 mins later my MacBook is ready, but with a special surprise.

The guy working at the Genius Bar said since this was the second time I've had my MacBook serviced for a faulty HDD twice in within a year, he'd give me something for my trouble.. Turns out he upgraded my 10.4 to 10.5 for free (10.5 was retailed at $129)..

Not only that, but he swapped my faulty 80GB HDD for a new 120GB HDD. (I've since swapped it out for 320GB myself, which I had planned on doing anyway)

So all in all, I just wrote this because I don't think Apple has bad customer service, I think they have the BEST customer service I've EVER dealt with. These actions turned me into an "Apple fanboy" for the most part, and I am now solely a Mac guy when it comes to computers and MP3 players.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Octo 2.8Ghz / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
badimac
Judging by the number of faults you have had and repeated fix's / visits
I personally would accept NOTHING BUT a full new replacement computer.

I have a friend that had a similar experience and got a replacement Imac
which was the NEW model and way better spec than his original purchase !

I've had noting but good/professional and friendly service from Apple, that's why I have stuck with them since 1995.

I had a macbook pro that needed a "zap" but I didn't have the disks for it.
At the Genius bar, they wiped it and installed latest Leopard for nothing :)
it was not bought there and had no warranty either !!

Good luck, I would just go for the total replacement with a new Imac.

OP
B
Reaction score
By the time we got to the 3rd replacement optical drive (each of which amazingly worked worse than the previous one) apple offered me a replacement computer.
It 2 weeks to arrive and came with the wrong keyboard and wrong mouse but apple hope to get it right within one more week.

Hopefully now apple and I can restart our relationship and I will get the quality experience apple fans always rave about but eluded me with my first computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Once that happens, you won't regret the purchase. Maybe it's mentioned above, but where are you?? I've never heard such a story before. There must be a blind spot in Apple's service delivery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.