Time Capsule on existing Network?

Reaction score
Hi,

So I got a MacBook 13 inch and my roommate got a Pc laptop (don't know what brand).

I have WIFI internet and I currently use a Belkin wireless router.

It's been allready weeks that I got serious internet connection problems, I don't know if the problem is the router, there are a lot of internet connection cuts

For example: When I launch a youtube video, it will often only charge half the video, that's really frustrating.

The problem was allready there before my roommate arrived, she has no connection problem whatsoever and we use the same Wifi connection.

I want to buy a Time Capsule anyways to replace my belkin router, that way I have a nice backup.

I guess 1 terrabyte will be enough to back up my 150 Gb Macbook.

Will my roommate have no trouble with the internet connection as she doesn't use a mac? Or does that doesn't matter at all?

I'm waiting for your responses, maybe I go buy it today.

Cheers

OP
D
Reaction score
No reply? I saw previous posts with alot of reports on how the Pc has trouble connecting to the internet with a time capsule,

Now, I really want to buy a time capsule, but only if I can connect my roommate laptop to the internet, is this possible?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It should be possible without much if any trouble at all. I have seen several descriptions of successful use. Use Apple's Time Capsule with your Windows PC. I think that setup is Windows only but a mixed Mac/Win network shouldn't be an issue.

There is another alternative if you have difficulty. Use the Time Capsule to extend the existing wireless network. That way your roommate could, if necessary, continue to access the existing router while you access the Time Capsule either for internet and backups or just backups.

OP
D
Reaction score
By extending the existing wireless network, the time capsule connects to the existing router and then the time capsule connects to my macbook, right?

Anyways I will buy the Time Capsule as I'm sure I will be able to make use of it, I just hope there won't be too much trouble connecting it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
You should have any trouble getting it connected to a PC whatsoever. The only trouble you might encounter is if your friend tries to use the drive in the Time Capsule as it would be in a format that a PC cannot read.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By extending the existing wireless network, the time capsule connects to the existing router and then the time capsule connects to my macbook, right?

That's correct. I have seen some directions for setting up the Time Capsule for Windows File Sharing such as Windows File Sharing with Apple's Time Capsule. I am not sure the Time Capsule would still be useable for Time Machine backups though.

One solution would be to attach an external USB drive to the Time Capsule. That drive could either be use for file sharing or fir the Time Machine backups.

OP
D
Reaction score
That's correct. I have seen some directions for setting up the Time Capsule for Windows File Sharing such as Windows File Sharing with Apple's Time Capsule. I am not sure the Time Capsule would still be useable for Time Machine backups though.

One solution would be to attach an external USB drive to the Time Capsule. That drive could either be use for file sharing or fir the Time Machine backups.

Oh, that's sad because the automatic back ups are exactly the reason why I want a Time Capsule, would the Time Capsule still be able to do automatic backups whitout using it as a router? probably not I guess.

Anyways lets assume the worst and that it doesn't work to connect both devices mac and pc, then I think Apple would refund me, so I might as well give it a go

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted to do some testing before typing this response because I think you are trying to duplicate the situation that I have with my Time Capsule. I used my Time Capsule to extend an existing wireless network. The Time Capsule is connected to the router by wire but I think the connection can also be made wirelessly. Because I am connected to the network by wire I could turn off the wireless function but have chosen no to do that.

When it comes to backups here is what I have noticed:
1. Time Machine seems to recognize the Time Capsule fine though I have chosen to put those backups on an external drive attached to the Time Capsule.
2. In OS X if I do a Get Info on the Time Capsule it shows as AFP (used for Apple File Sharing).
3. On my Boot Camp Partition the Time Capsule is seen as FAT32 and I can save files to it from Win XP.
4. External drives attached to the Time Capsule appear in "My Computer" There was a Utility that I had to install on the Windows side before Win XP would "see" it. The Utility is on the Time Capsule setup disc.

Reaction score
I have the 1 TB time capsule. I have my desktop PC hooked up to it by ethernet and my roommate, his fiance, his sister and her boyfriend (all visiting) have their laptops connected to it with zero problems. WHen I first set up my TC I used my old wireless name and password. My roommate had to delete his existing wireless settings and set it up from scratch. Once he did that worked as advertised. By the way my Modern Warfare 2 scores on PS3 experienced a sharp incline upon TC utilization, lol. Love the TC!

OP
D
Reaction score
Great, I have a 1TB time capsule and connecting it was EASY!

I just kept the old settings of my wifi previous wifi connection, my roommate was immediately connected and I don't have any connection problem (while I had some problems with my previous router.

GREAT!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.