Apple Mail doest want to talk to Gmail. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not getting very far here.

I goto, Mail > Preferences > New account/add account etc and fill out the correct info on the first page

IE

FULL NAME: - My Name (guessing this is for display purposes only so not matter really)
USER NAME:- Is my name followed by my "@gmail.com" but I have even tried "@googlemail.com"
PASSWORD:- Is the exact same one I used to log into Gmail via safari so I know for certain all the above info is correct.

No matter what I do I get the same message:-

Logging in to the Gmail IMAP server “imap.gmail.com” failed. Make sure the user name and password you entered are correct, then click Continue. If the information isn’t correct, you cannot receive messages.

I realise the above states IMAP and Gmail is actually POP. So somehow even thought this page doesn't even work Apple Mail lets me go to the next page re incoming server.

INCOMING SERVER:-

Account Type:- POP
Description:- Gmail
Incoming Mail Server:- pop.gmail.com
Username :- My name, Also tried My name followed by "@gmail.com" and "@googlemail.com"
Password:- Same old password that works for Gmail via safari and my iPhone

When I press Continue it takes around 5 minutes to move forward and then states

Logging into the Gmail POP server failed. Check you user name and password etc etc

Please can anyone help as switching so far has been plain sailing. I cant understand what Im doing wrong here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
It looks like you did the right way, are you following the instructs on google's site? They have it specifically for Mail also. Also check that you have enabled POP at the gmail site also.

Apple Mail 3.0 - Gmail Help on this page it also has a link to tell you how to enable pop.

BTW my server setting is pop.gmail.com and not imap.gmail.com, so maybe erase that account and start over using the instructs at google.

Mail will allow you to input anything as an outgoing server. It's when it tries to connect that it will give you a response. It looks like you have the incorrect Outgoing server info. Mine is smtp.gmail.com, to check that there is a drop down where you set the incoming and click on edit smtp server list.

Hope that helps ;)

Hi guys,

Not getting very far here.

I goto, Mail > Preferences > New account/add account etc and fill out the correct info on the first page

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
I would also suggest checking the GMAIL settings and making sure that POP is enabled.

I use IMAP for mines, and Mail picked up all the details automatically.

OP
K
Reaction score
@ Aqua. Hi mate, thanks for that link. Going to work through it now. My oncoming server is set to pop like yours. I seem to have you confused also as I didn't get as far as outgoing settings. If I get anywhere with the link ill be sure to thank you.

@ Chris. THanks, got me baffled

OP
K
Reaction score
Na, both POP and IMAP have been enabled for over a year.

Anyone else? I mean there not much to go wrong here, just input information correctly which I have.....

OP
K
Reaction score
Im sorry but I cant offer any answers to why but its working now.

I thought these baffling days were left behind with windows. Thanks for trying to help guys. It is appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.