Snow Leopard > Firefox 3.6 > Java not working...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 " MBP, 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo , 4gb ram, 250gb drive
Hi guys, I recently purchased my first Mac (MacBook Pro) and for some unknown reason Java apps won't show in the latest Firefox but they do in Safari. I've done the latest plugin updates in FF and Software Updates from the Apple menu. So I'm currently running:

Snow Leopard - Mac OS X 10.6.2
Java SE 6 1.6.0_17
Java plugin 1.0-JEP-0.9.7.2 (yes it's enabled)

I've been on a couple of Java testing sites and both did not show the app I was supposed to be seeing, but this site Java Information - BrowserSpy.dk (which is linked to the Mozilla plugin update page) had these results:

Test Result

Java enabled Yes
Java supported Yes
Java version Yes - version 1.6.0
Java using object and applet tag
Java using the applet tag

As you can see there were no results for the applet tags, hopefully this might be a clue for a smart cookie because I'm stumped. I've been googling for ages and haven't found anything promising so my last resort was to post here. If you need anymore info just ask but in the mean time I'm just going to have to fall back on Safari if I need Java, any suggestions would be much appreciated though, cheers :D

orb

Reaction score
Slater ... I don't think I can help, specifically, but have a similar issue.

Running:
Snow Leopard Mac 10.06.02
Java SE 1.6.0.17

Just yesterday, I pushed go on the software update and java has been updated yet now doesn't work in either safari or firefox (or chrome). Up until then I was in a similar boat to you with safari :) and firefox :(...now both are :(

The site I have issue with is: WebFirst Logon

I can't find the original v1.6 for java that runs on OS X 10.6.x...only the update1 (_17) that is everywhere. I'm running firefox 3.5.7 and safari 4.04...any clues??

Reaction score
Oh man. I have exactly the same problem.

As I am new to Mac, I do not know how to solve this.

But I have noticed something. If you have the disk image file, Firefox 3.6 11-10-52.dmg, open it with diskimagemounter, and keep the firefox disk image running, start your Firefox, then Java can be run without a problem.

Eject the firefox disk image, restart firefox, Java fails to run.

Anyone has any bright idea ?

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem...

I put the disk image of firefox on my desktop and everything worked fine again. Anyone have any suggestions?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you running Firefox from the disk image? If so, you need to copy it to your machine (disk images are meant only as a means of distributing the app).

Test the installation here. Does it recognize your install? If not, in Firefox, go to the url about:plugins (yes, that is a valid page). Is Java listed there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First up download the OS X.6.6 Combo Updater and then the latest version of Firefox, 3.6.13. Software Updates do contain important updates for your Mac. Do not run Firefox from the .dmg file,. Double click to open and move the Firefox icon to Applications.

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1349

Reaction score
Fire3fox not working 3.6

I FINALLY SOLVED MY HANGING, "STOPPED" LOADING AND FORCE QUIT PROBLEMS AFTER TRYING EVERYTHING SHORT OF ARCHIVE AND INSTALL.

I FINALLY SOLVED MY HANGING, "STOPPED" LOADING AND FORCE QUIT PROBLEMS AFTER TRYING EVERYTHING SHORT OF ARCHIVE AND INSTALL:
I HAD TO RESTART
"FORCED" TEN TIMES A DAY:

I UPDATED JAVA:

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 9
About Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 9

also

JavaEmbeddingPlugin 0.9.7.5

I have a PPC G5 dual 2.0
OSX 10.5.8

Firefox 3.6.16

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.