How good is a 1.8 Dual G5? uses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 15" 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro. 4gb, 320(7200)....
Hey all.
So a buddy of mine owed me some money and couldn't come up with the funds so he gave me his machine.
G5 1.8 ghz Dual processor
1.5gb ram
1.5tb storage (500 seagate and a 1tb seagate
stock video card....
good shape computer and a 19" samsung LCD
Now, I know the G5s are an awesome solid machine, but I currently have a 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro which I normally always use and most of the programs out there are running for intel.
I know I need to upgrade the operating system (running 10.4) cause nothing works on it.
However, its a solid machine and I have been using it as my backup and to watch movies on and probably photoshop/.
Just curious what you all thought of the 1.8 dual and what to use it for.

Fast??
how does it put up to intel?

~Teal

Reaction score
Hey all.
So a buddy of mine owed me some money and couldn't come up with the funds so he gave me his machine.
G5 1.8 ghz Dual processor
1.5gb ram
1.5tb storage (500 seagate and a 1tb seagate
stock video card....
good shape computer and a 19" samsung LCD
Now, I know the G5s are an awesome solid machine, but I currently have a 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro which I normally always use and most of the programs out there are running for intel.
I know I need to upgrade the operating system (running 10.4) cause nothing works on it.
However, its a solid machine and I have been using it as my backup and to watch movies on and probably photoshop/.
Just curious what you all thought of the 1.8 dual and what to use it for.

Fast??
how does it put up to intel?

~Teal

The Power PC G5 is great. Add two of them, even better. However you'll be seeing high temperatures blowing out of that case. You can upgrade to Leopard FYI, the machine is powerful enough to run it, and most applications are still supported under Leopard.

Dual 1.8? Or two 900 MHz processors?

They'll stack up to Intel well, but however, there's two processors, not a single chip with dual cores. So wattage is higher. I'd say, use this beastly machine with Mac OS X Server Leopard or Mac OS X Server Tiger. These machines make a great server.

By the way, since you don't specify, is this a Power Mac? Or iMac?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Power PC G5 is great. Add two of them, even better. However you'll be seeing high temperatures blowing out of that case. You can upgrade to Leopard FYI, the machine is powerful enough to run it, and most applications are still supported under Leopard.

Dual 1.8? Or two 900 MHz processors?

They'll stack up to Intel well, but however, there's two processors, not a single chip with dual cores. So wattage is higher. I'd say, use this beastly machine with Mac OS X Server Leopard or Mac OS X Server Tiger. These machines make a great server.

By the way, since you don't specify, is this a Power Mac? Or iMac?

Hey,
it's a powermac G5 dual 1.8ghz processors. So its pretty good.
Yeah, its not too bad. I live in a pretty cool place and room stays around 63 degress...but the fans speed up here and there.
I heard it takes like 600 watts.. haha.
Add too??? like hooking them together?
Can you do that? I mean I know virginia tech did it, but can like people do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The machine will be good for most every day things you'll want to do. Remember though, the future is Intel and more and more Apps are becoming Intel only....

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The machine will be good for most every day things you'll want to do. Remember though, the future is Intel and more and more Apps are becoming Intel only....

Yeah, well I have my laptop for that. It works well for downloading and playing online and homework and such and the my laptop I just take places.
Also, I keep getting this error sense code for toast 10...I can't update on 10.4..........

Reaction score
Hey,
it's a powermac G5 dual 1.8ghz processors. So its pretty good.
Yeah, its not too bad. I live in a pretty cool place and room stays around 63 degress...but the fans speed up here and there.
I heard it takes like 600 watts.. haha.
Add too??? like hooking them together?
Can you do that? I mean I know virginia tech did it, but can like people do it?

No, not two computers, I mean two Power PC chips. You're saying this Power Mac G5 has two Power PC G5 processors, which I assume are single core, each running at 900MHz, right? (900MHz+900MHz= 1800MHz, or about 1.8GHz)

The PowerPC G5 at 900MHz is a powerful, high wattage chip. Two of them in one case (thankfully located at the bottom back side) means a great deal of heat, and a great deal of energy. This is a powerful computer none-the-less, though baggss is right, the future is Intel. This Power Mac G5 can run up to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (867MHz minimum Power PC), and can run either Mac OS X Tiger 10.4 Server or Leopard 10.5 Server, if you ever want to do that.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, not two computers, I mean two Power PC chips. You're saying this Power Mac G5 has two Power PC G5 processors, which I assume are single core, each running at 900MHz, right? (900MHz+900MHz= 1800MHz, or about 1.8GHz)

The PowerPC G5 at 900MHz is a powerful, high wattage chip. Two of them in one case (thankfully located at the bottom back side) means a great deal of heat, and a great deal of energy. This is a powerful computer none-the-less, though baggss is right, the future is Intel. This Power Mac G5 can run up to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (867MHz minimum Power PC), and can run either Mac OS X Tiger 10.4 Server or Leopard 10.5 Server, if you ever want to do that.

Yes, two powerpc processors, but its a 1.8ghz...900mhz front side bus. So two processors running 1.8ghz.
Anyone else have this computer....any problems....thoughts about it.
High energy bills. lol.
~Teal

Reaction score

This is by far very true, though if Apple takes the "iPad" route (that is to say, hidden folders, hidden CLI and Apple A* chip-in the iPad's case, A4), what happens next? Not that it would happen, but you never know!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is by far very true, though if Apple takes the "iPad" route (that is to say, hidden folders, hidden CLI and Apple A* chip-in the iPad's case, A4), what happens next? Not that it would happen, but you never know!

Yes, I have snowleopard on my Macbook pro and never had a problem downloading things...and now on the G5 I have to search for older versions of programs. I am currently downloading leopard...get something newer on here.

C

chas_m

I just want to point out that, in point of fact, nearly all programs that run on Leopard also work with Tiger provided it is up to date (10.4.11). Even Apple's own updates for Leopard always include 10.4.11. You can run the latest Safari, the latest iLife and so forth.

Having said that I agree with everyone above; upgrade to Leopard. But I'm just pointing out that you don't absolutely HAVE to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
A G5 is a behemoth at that speed, you'll see yourself surpassing most low-end chips today, The G5 has some incompatibilities the G4 doesn't, but it should serve you well for at leas 6 years if you take care of it. I know peoplw who still use a powermac g3 w/ g4 upgrade for everything. i tell i'm is it slow? they say : 'nope, never slow"

I would also recommend trying out a PPC linux distro, they have plenty of actively developed apps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, I have snowleopard on my Macbook pro and never had a problem downloading things...and now on the G5 I have to search for older versions of programs. I am currently downloading leopard...get something newer on here.

Downloading Leopard like from the Internet? If so, against USA Law and the rules here at Mac Forums. Purchase 10.5 Retail. Like was said though, 10.4.11 will run most modern apps that are Universal and will run on the Power PC. I have a feeling you are trying to run Intel Only applications from your Intel Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Downloading Leopard like from the Internet? If so, against USA Law and the rules here at Mac Forums. Purchase 10.5 Retail. Like was said though, 10.4.11 will run most modern apps that are Universal and will run on the Power PC. I have a feeling you are trying to run Intel Only applications from your Intel Mac.

Actually iLife and Iwork 09 both require leopard. Suriously? This is a computer forum.....of course I am downloading it. Gonna partition an external and boot from DVD. I have a retail version but its dual layer and my G5 doesn't have that:( I honestly don't download too much for you anti downloaders out there. My service provider kept nailing me with letter saying they were gonna shut off my internet and such so now I only get necessary things. Just curious, I understand its against the rules on here, but like most of you must download. Every computer nerd person I know does. haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
@appleboy

i DL stuff too, and i live in the US, but I do it on old stuff only, either way, neither you or I is justified in doing it. Regardless of who else does it, I have been banned from forums because I've made it public. I don't know how lenient the mods are on this forum about this, but my personal opinion is it isn't as bad as posting a link or something. IIRC, there are patches you can apply to ilife to make it run on Tiger, however I won't say where to download it as most DLs also include the program. And i'm just trying to help you out, if you're wondering . :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I honestly don't download too much for you anti downloaders out there.

It's not about too much or too little...download 1 application that you're supposed to purchase (and didn't)...and it's illegal!

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@appleboy

i DL stuff too, and i live in the US, but I do it on old stuff only, either way, neither you or I is justified in doing it. Regardless of who else does it, I have been banned from forums because I've made it public. I don't know how lenient the mods are on this forum about this, but my personal opinion is it isn't as bad as posting a link or something. IIRC, there are patches you can apply to ilife to make it run on Tiger, however I won't say where to download it as most DLs also include the program. And i'm just trying to help you out, if you're wondering . :)

Yeah, I totally know what you mean. I got banned on here for something in the past. Anyways, I know its wrong. I'm not saying its like totally ok or anything.
but back to the G5. haha. Try and not get us banned.

What do you all think? I also just installed leopard...Cloned it to an external and got it going. love it. Almost seems like for searching the web and everything this thing is the close to if not the same speed as my 2.66ghz macbook pro.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's totally against the rules here to discuss any form of Piracy. Those are the rules in my Sig, the Community Guidelines. We try to be fair but on things against the Law that can come back and hurt the forums, we are very strict.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
And of course, only one account is permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.