Buy iPhone now, or wait for next model?

M

macocroft

I've heard rumours of a major iPhone upgrade within the next 6 months. Is it worth buying an iPhone now, or waiting for the next model?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If you need one then get it but i bet mid summer the new one will be available not sure what will be different besides maybe a better camera and processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Expect an update by the end of July....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Major update? like what? what are they possibly going to add to the thing hardware wise? It is a phone after all.

OP
C

chas_m

I'm with bobtomay. The iPhone is pretty much done hardware wise ... they'll probably move it to Apple-designed chips in 2011, but I really would not expect a totally new model.

I *do* expect they will roll out a major software update, Jobs frankly said as much at the Town Hall meeting. I would imagine we'll hear more about it at WWDC, or by summer LATEST. I doubt it will require new hardware very, very much.

I think the next major upgrade to the iPhone in terms of hardware isn't coming this year. Apple will likely wait to see who finally achieves dominance in next-gen cell network technology, wait for the market to embrace it, and judge the quality of the experience before jumping in.

Just like they always do. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
I always think that if you are prepared to wait for the next model to come out, you'll always be waiting as there is always another model round the corner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Major update? like what? what are they possibly going to add to the thing hardware wise? It is a phone after all.

I didn't say that.

I'd expect a bump in capacity (64Gb) to match the iTouch and perhaps some new software with new features (Multi-Tasking etc). I suppose a restyling is possible but updated hardware (CPU etc) is more likely.

I always think that if you are prepared to wait for the next model to come out, you'll always be waiting as there is always another model round the corner.

Yes and no. If you bother to learn the cycle process, at least for Apple, they are somewhat consistent in updates.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I didn't say that.

I'd expect a bump in capacity (64Gb) to match the iTouch and perhaps some new software with new features (Multi-Tasking etc). I suppose a restyling is possible but updated hardware (CPU etc) is more likely.

Yes and no. If you bother to learn the cycle process, at least for Apple, they are somewhat consistent in updates.

Yeah, I concur... I was just referring to some ground breaking thing that would cause someone that needs a new phone now, that would be worth waiting for another 5-6 months.

The current model will do at a minimum the same things it does now, even after the next model is released.

So the bottom line question is, do you need a phone now or 6 months from now?

If a new one was coming out in the next month, then I'd say wait if you could.

OP
M

macocroft

So the bottom line question is, do you need a phone now or 6 months from now?

Not so much "need" as "would enjoy owning". I guess I'll wait until the end of Feb for an update. If there's still no news of an update (or there is, and I just don't care about said update), then I'll buy one.

Thanks for the help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
How about a CDMA version please?

That rumor has been going around forever. At this point I will believe it when I see it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Here is a simple one make the next iPhone open source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that's really holding it back from being a big hit.

No one said it was holding it back, But it would be nice to have the freedom to do what I want to the iPhone, Without Apple calling me a criminal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one said it was holding it back, But it would be nice to have the freedom to do what I want to the iPhone, Without Apple calling me a criminal.

What would be Apples motivation to make the iPhone Open Source? Losing Money? Worrying about you being called a criminal? I really hope you understand that that will never actually happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What would be Apples motivation to make the iPhone Open Source? Losing Money? Worrying about you being called a criminal? I really hope you understand that that will never actually happen.

I know it won't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
There are plenty of people out there selling them outright for around $300 or less, save the upgrade eligibility if you can. But by all means you can get a refurbished 3G for only $49. Definately worth it. I just switched to a Droid Eris so my iPhone is now a glorified paperweight and ipod touch (camera ver.) :p.

But iPhones are sweet devices.

Reaction score
I think that apple has to come out with something new, to one up the droid phones. Droid phones have some things better than the iphone and i would like to see them kick the crap out of the droid!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.