Boot from /Developer?

Reaction score
So I noticed the folder /Developer/usr. It had all of the commands like in the original. But this "usr" folder is not locked. So I was wondering if I could somehow boot the Terminal from /Developer instead of /.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
I don't quite understand what you're asking. By "boot the Terminal," do you mean run commands from there? As in, use the executables in /Developer/usr/bin instead of in /usr/bin?

If so you just set your the $PATH variable in your ~/.bash_profile (or ~/.bashrc, if it's sourced from bash_profile) to include that directory. Here's an article explaining how to do it. Take note of the final note there and put the Developer folder first; that way, if the same executable is found in /Developer/usr/bin as in /usr/bin or elsewhere, the Developer one will take precedence.

OP
B
Reaction score
I tried what it said in the article. This is my path:

picture1nzh.png

I've tried executing the commands I've added to /Developer/usr/bin but it doesn't work at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (late-2008)
I tried what it said in the article. This is my path:

picture1nzh.png

I've tried executing the commands I've added to /Developer/usr/bin but it doesn't work at all.

That's because your path needs to be /Developer/usr not just /Developer If you fix that it should work.

It doesn't 'read into' directories. So you need to specify the actual directory with the executable files in it, not it's parent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.