How to add more icons to the dock - more than normal

Reaction score
Hello. I have a large number of icons that I would like to use on the dock. I am using Tiger. Is there an app that will let me do this? What would be ideal would be to have one icon on the doc that when I hover over it expands out to show extra icons. Thanks!!

C

chas_m

Without meaning to take away from the excellent suggestions above, might I suggest a little dock organization?

The dock is designed to hold your "top dozen or two" favourite apps, not every single app you own. Instead of trying to cram them all into the Dock, try pulling most of them OFF the Dock till you get down to just your Top 20 or so favourites.

Then, on the right side of the dock, drag your Applications Folder down into the Dock. Now, click and hold on the Applications folder icon. Oh look! Every app you own, arranged in alphabetical order, which can be opened with literally a single click!

I have gone further than that and put some of my similar apps into their own folders (within the Applications Folder) such as Audio Apps, Video Apps, Online Radio, Adobe, iWork and so forth.

Then I drag those folders down into the dock. Click and hold to get instant access to your most used GROUPS of apps.

And yes, Stacks (once configured to your taste) in Leopard and Snow make this even MORE cool and efficient than it is in Tiger!

Give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Then, on the right side of the dock, drag your Applications Folder down into the Dock. Now, click and hold on the Applications folder icon. Oh look! Every app you own, arranged in alphabetical order, which can be opened with literally a single click!
I also do that too. I have the view option set to List which makes it similar to the Windows' Start Menu listing feature. Only my most used applications have shortcut icons on the Dock. A person can put a lot of icons in the Dock but they look better if you reduce the size of the Dock. I also put folders on the right side too for ones that I access frequently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
I rarely use the dock for launching programs myself, I find it much easier to do ⌘+Space then type the first few letters of the application I want into Spotlight then return to launch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (late 09) 2.26, 2 gb, 160, 1 tb hitachi 7200 ext hdd. Macbook 2.26, 4 gb, 360 hdd 3G Iphone
I rarely use the dock for launching programs myself, I find it much easier to do ⌘+Space then type the first few letters of the application I want into Spotlight then return to launch.

I have a similar solution, but I fell in love with quicksilver a few years ago and still love it, launches apps and so much more

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.