Paintbrush question

Reaction score
Hello,

In Paintbrush, I am attempting to create a rectangle in an image, click off of that rectangle, and then re-select the rectangle to move it.

Paintbrush allows you to create the rectangle, but once you click off of the rectangle you can never select it again.

If my verbiage is correct, I assume that Paintbrush does not create a new "layer" for the rectangle, but embeds the rectangle into the image as soon as I click off of it?

Is there any way to get around this?

Also, please let me know if I'm being unclear and I will expound a little bit more.

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Paintbrush doesn't allow you to do that because, as you said, it doesn't have layers. You can save your Paintbrush image and load it into a more sophisticated image editor and do what you are suggesting. Gimp is a free editor that will do everything you're looking for. GIMP on OS X

C

chas_m

There are many drawing and painting programs for the Mac that are superior to GIMP for what you want to do here; many are free or low-cost.

I'd suggest starting with something that's actually Mac-native rather than a (IMHO) very bad port job of a totally un-Mac-like program.

You might download GraphicConverter or Pixelmator as examples; or visit MacUpdate and do a search on "paint" and you'll likely find lots of alternatives.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As much as I like Pixelmator, one major failing is that is has no facility for shape creation of any kind and the developers have steadfastly dismissed it as a needed feature (even addressing me specifically in a discussion on a blog site). Pixelmator is great for touch-ups and free-handed drawing, but don't expect to be able to even draw so much as a straight line in a guided fashion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.