Windows Mail (NOT Outlook) to Mac Mail - Help please!

Reaction score
I am a 1 week old Mac baby. In a previous life I was pretty dang proficient on a PC.

Is there a SIMPLE, straight-forward way of transferring over my contacts (address book) from Windows Mail, as well as my old emails, into Mac mail? I've found a couple of clunky, unclear, or incomplete suggestions (including Thunderbird...which I tried with no success). Also, why in the world doesn't Apple support this??? "Want a Mac??? Sure, moving EVERYTHING over is super easy and fast!!!" should be their attitude. Not that it CAN'T be done, but it certainly isn't straight forward.

Many, many thanks in advance. Blue skies-
Jeff

OP
F
Reaction score
Working on this method, thanks. Called my ISP (Comcast) and they don't support IMAP accounts...so as usual, nothing is easy for me! I am still of the opinion that Apple should provide an app that you just dump your folders and contacts into and they are converted.
Blue skies-
Jeff

OP
F
Reaction score
I may be onto something. Got MobileMe installed on both my Vista PC and my Mac. The syncing option on the PC actually gives Windows Mail Contacts as an option. This is the FIRST time I've seen that!

OP
F
Reaction score
Got the contacts migrated!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now on to slay the big, ugly dragon of moving my emails. Feel free to dive in here to keep me from pulling out any more hair!
Grins-
Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
out of curiousity..

when you add your account to Mail, doesn't it automatically move all your emails across?

i entered my aol account to Mail and Mail automatically transfered all my emails, just had to go and make a cup of tea!

Reaction score
Setup your .me mail in you PC mail client (as IMAP), then copy the mails from your Windows mail to the .me account.

OP
F
Reaction score
Got my .me mail account set up in my PC mail client (as an IMAP)...but can't figure out how to copy the mail folders or individual email to the .me account. I am soooo close, someone please get me the rest of the way!
Many thanks-
Jeff

Reaction score
Have you tried just dragging? Copy and Paste? Selecting some and then use some menu command to move/copy to a different mailbox?

OP
F
Reaction score
Tried everything I know. I have finally found a way to do it via VERY long hand: Creating a mail box in my Mac mail; Opening up each local folder (on my PC) and dragging the individual emails from that folder into my MobileMe Inbox; opening the MobileMe Inbox on the Mac, then dragging them to the afore-mentioned newly created folder. It will NOT let me drag in an entire folder. I have THOUSANDS of mails in scores of folders. This IS getting it done, but it is very time & labor intensive. Suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.