Printer recommendations?

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this...

Our Canon Pixma went kaput, and I am dying without the ability to print, but more importantly-scan.

I need something fairly basic-just good printing and scanning ability. Wireless would be awesome, if that'd work with my Macbook.

We tried to network the old Cannon with my Macbook and for some reason couldn't do it (before i had nearly flawless network printing ability with the windows laptop). Are certain printers better geared towards Macs? If so, that's what i want, 'cause I do not plan to ever switch from Apple.

Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Well I just purchased a Cannon Pixma mx860. However I am still waiting for it to arrive. I went to two Best buys and the Apple store(which only had 3 to offer). But for the life of me I could not get a straight answer out of any of the sales people at Best buy as to which ones were Mac compatable. So I chose this one and hope it works. I will let you know what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Canon and Mac are usually very good friends. That said, I have seen several posts about Canon's wireless capability. The latest driver updates usually fix that.

Others will say nice things about other brands of printer, so I recommend you take the time to read independent reviews. CNet seems to be a good source of impartial information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Canon Pixma i had did all well except wireless scanning, so then changed to Brother MFC for a wireless LAN with 2 macs. Must say that has turned out to be a good move in turns of simplicity of set up and continued use and both my brother and son have gone the same way with no complaints about a Brother Multi Function on a wireless set up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any recommendations?

Both Canon and HP are Mac friendly with Canon taking the lead. (my opinion)

Canon wireless printers seem to work well. I have an all in one Pixma MP 620 that has been reliable and does all my color printing via a wireless connection. I use my HP LaserJet primarily for BW printing.

Another consideration for Canon is that generally I found consumables less expensive than other color printers that I had considered purchasing.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
just to clarify...Canon Pixma 830 is what we had... it did well, except no drivers for Mac, so couldn't figure out networking. I'd get the same one if i knew i could scan and print wirelessly....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you check the Canon site for drivers for the Pixma 830? If you did, you didn't look very hard.... I found drivers on the first hit in the Canon library:

Download LINK

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
I did, but it was a couple of years ago, and I didn't think to check again lol
Thanks for the reminder...
I found Pixma 860 on Amazon for 129, which seems to be a pretty decent price, so I may get that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.