VPN to PC

Reaction score
Hi all...first post...

My wife has been enjoying the pleasures of a Macbook for a couple of years now and decided she'd heard enough of me complaining about my old desktop PC and how old and slow it was...so she bought me a Macbook for Xmas.

Now my work allows me to "VPN" in from home to access my desktop PC at work...but that's Windows to Windows...I now want to be able to do that Mac to Windows.

On my home desktop PC I'd been using Nortel's Contivity VPN, and Remote Desktop Assistant. No troubles, connects right away. In my reading apparently there is a 'built in' VPN client in Snow Leopard that will allow me to do this, I just can't figure out how to do it?

Can someone lend me a hand, it would be greatly appreciated...please understand that I'm very new at Mac's, and 'jargon' goes right over my head.

Here's what I'm operating:

Macbook - OSX Snow Leopard - 10.6.2

Thanks for any and all help...

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
Go to your "System Preferences", then "Network", and then on the left hand column, there is a +, -, and settings button. Click on the + button. When the little box comes up, in the "Interface" drop down menu, choose "VPN". From there I am pretty sure its self explanatory. Make sure you choose the right protocol (PPTP or L2TP). Enjoy!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! :)

I got to the point you described...how do I know which protocol to use? It's been three years since I did this to my PC to PC connection so could you walk me a little farther through the process?

Thanks for your help...

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
Well I can't really answer that question. It all depends on how your work's network is setup. I would go through trial and error and try each of the protocols. If you are at work now, you can't really try it since your inside the network, do you know what I mean?

Just as a recap theres are actually 3 protocols: PPTP, L2TP, & Cisco IPSec. You should ask your Network Admin which is the proper protocol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.