AppZapper vs. CleanApp 3

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with both of these apps for comparison? I'm going to buy one, but can't decide which. I've been using AppCleaner since I bought my Mac, but it does leave bits and pieces...bits and pieces that both of these claim to find. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Yes.

I've entered this debate b4 now, and my preference is clear - CleanApp! I like the way it vacuums all those "bits & pieces", things you'd never think to look for yourself using plain old Move to Trash. I too have used AppCleaner and AppZapper, but bought CleanApp after trialing all three for a month or so. HTH.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
AppTrap is another have found to be very good with one great advantage ~ it is freeware!

AppTrap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I've been using AppZapper for awhile now but will try AppTrap.
Can I drag and drop AppZapper into itself to remove it? Hmmmmm..... :D

OP
ArrowJ
Reaction score
AppZapper certainly looks more clean and "Macish", but CleanApp looks more powerful and I guess the whole point is to get as close to 100% of files removed from the system that were created by a piece of software as possible. The one I use now is freeware and works pretty well with plist files and application support folders, but I do find stuff left behind regularly.

A zap sound effect...hmmm.

OP
ArrowJ
Reaction score
So I did a few experiments and discovered that 1) CleanApp is too much tool for the job. It also listed several items using its remnants feature that were still active preferences. 2) App Zapper has a very nice interface and is a well throughout, intuitive piece of Mac software not only catches the files my freeware solution catches, but also the cache files. 3) I routinely delete cache files using Onyx and AppCleaner works fantastically well for free! I'm gonna live without the fancy sound effects until AppCleaner is obsoleted by a newer version of the OS at some point (I'm not sure it is still in active development). I used it to delete AppZapper, CleanApp and their associated files.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Hopefully this will answer someone else next time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.