Sound quality in new macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi, I have been using the old macbook pro 17" (silver keyboard) and it had a great sound quality. There was a bass for sure.

Now, I got this new macbook pro 15" (black keyboard) but the sound quality is very bad. It is not half as high as the old one. And the sound is only at high frequency, I mean no bass. So it is difficult to hear for low volume, and it is annoying to hear for chirpy sound.

My question is, whether it is usual or I got problem with my sound card or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb
I dont think its exactly fair to expect the same quality sound out of a much smaller computer. Everyone knows laptops are notorious for bad sound. I would bank on that you just aren't used to a smaller laptop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 unibody
Yea, don't expect great sound out of something that's 1" thick - especially bass.

Reaction score
It will get better though. After a month the speakers will begin to set in, and have a better sound. It is not the best though, and mainly good "on the go" speakers. I plug in headphones, or external speakers when I am at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Spend 30 bucks on a good headphone. Laptop speakers are adequate for convenience of audio and video, but for serious listening of music you need a good headphone.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks a lot.

@Themuskr & @monkeywhistle: this is disappointing!

@quin: I have a good headphone. But, when watching stuffs say from youtube with my wife together, the sound quality of the speakers is bad.

@ShawnBoucke: This getting better thing is interesting. Do you mean the speaker is adaptive or my ears?

How much a good pair of external but portable small speakers may cost?

By the way, what do you name them shortly instead of saying "old macbook pro 17 (silver keyboard)" or "new macbook pro 15 (black keyboard)"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Are you using iTunes to play your music? If you are then is the equalizer set the same? The speakers on laptops do suck but you can change some of the quality with the equalizer. It's not a huge difference but the difference you are noticing might have to do with your equalizer settings.

Anyway as others have mentioned, you should invest in a good pair to portable speakers or earbuds. I like good earbuds myself because they are much more portable.

By the way, what do you name them shortly instead of saying "old macbook pro 17 (silver keyboard)" or "new macbook pro 15 (black keyboard)"?
If you know the year then that would be the shortest way along with abbreviations. For example, I have a mid-2009 15" MBP. If you don't know the year then the GHz processor speed is another way for people to roughly guess how old your computer is.

Reaction score
Hi, I have been using the old macbook pro 17" (silver keyboard) and it had a great sound quality. There was a bass for sure.

Now, I got this new macbook pro 15" (black keyboard) but the sound quality is very bad. It is not half as high as the old one. And the sound is only at high frequency, I mean no bass. So it is difficult to hear for low volume, and it is annoying to hear for chirpy sound.

My question is, whether it is usual or I got problem with my sound card or something?

I've seen this a lot being an ACMT, it's likely one of your connectors for your speakers are not fully seated. Take it to any apple-authorized service center and they'll take care of it for free. I have both of those models and it's not THAT dramatic of a difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.