Internet. Driving. Me. Rabbid.

Reaction score
It's been a week. My internet connection quality has not changed. Yet my Macbook does not compute.
I am up the wall with this crap. I don't know what's going on. Internet was detected, everything is connected on the PC desktop and on my mac. But, the mac refuses to display web pages. Internet or no internet. It's a miracle I'm getting to post this question.

WHAT DO I DO?! Before I die of a brain hemorrage. Or a stroke, or something equally as fatal.

:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have you done all system updates?
Have you repaired permissions? If so maybe dl MainMenu or Oynx.
They both do a better job cleaning up your system than Disk Utility. Worth a try ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
First - take a deep breath and go an find a calming tipple. Are you saying that your Mac will surf Ok on ethernet but not using wireless?

OP
P
Reaction score
Have you done all system updates?
Have you repaired permissions? If so maybe dl MainMenu or Oynx.
They both do a better job cleaning up your system than Disk Utility. Worth a try ?

I did the previous combo update that was recommended. Not everything is settled though. And I just downloaded MainMenu and it's repairing disk permissions (as it has about 4 other times.. doesn't seem to make a dif.), I'll see what it does. I hope it finishes before I fall asleep. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be back.

OP
P
Reaction score
First - take a deep breath and go an find a calming tipple. Are you saying that your Mac will surf Ok on ethernet but not using wireless?

My mac wireless is fine, when it's close to the router that located in my home office. It works fine in the living room but when I go upstairs there is limited or no connectivity. OR, it shows me a "great quality connection" but does not display web pages.

Wireless works fine in public places like at school and in the library. I don't get those issues. This crap only happens at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Ok - time to try this. First set up a Location for Home - place u use it the most - see here go into Sys Prefs > Network > Airport > Location - edit Locations. With that done and selected see here and MB connected make sure the DNS numbers are showing up Sys Pefs > Network > Airport - should be showing a Primary and Secondary DNS IP number for your ISP at home. If it is not then add like this. Leave Location - Automatic for your public places.
See if that helps.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Using wireless "upstairs" from a router located downstairs has been and still is an issue for practically everyone. Some routers do this better than others. The recommended router placement in a multi-story dwelling is to put the router on the top floor.

This is an issue that is not likely to be solved by anything you can do on your machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.