iTunes - confusing to sync with iPhone

Reaction score
I've also found iTunes to be confusing; and I'd agree with most of what the original post said.

The particular difficulty I have (other than un-nerving messages about everything getting deleted that's on the iPod) is that if I've downloaded things straight over wifi to the iPod, then it doesn't appear to be possible to get it into iTunes without having to resort to 3rd party software, which you shouldn't have to.

Yes, if you use it exactly as they intend, and you create playlists etc., it can work; but as with others here, I've not found it as intuitive as it could be (mind you, the Sony software for a Sony MP3 player I have is just as odd in its own way - but at least the Sony MP3 player allows me to use Windows Explorer to drag files around )

C

chas_m

if I've downloaded things straight over wifi to the iPod, then it doesn't appear to be possible to get it into iTunes without having to resort to 3rd party software, which you shouldn't have to.

I'm confused by this since it runs completely contrary to my experience. Can you give us an example of what you're talking about here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Glad this post was revived. I'm with the OP. iTunes just screws with my mind. I read Apple started iTunes as a music/photo manager. Then it grew from there to a do all program. From upgrades and installs of everything from apps to whatever.

I find it to be bulky and cumbersome. Just can't get the hang of it. I'm having my young son come over and give me some lessions.

C

chas_m

Glad this post was revived. I'm with the OP. iTunes just screws with my mind. I read Apple started iTunes as a music/photo manager. Then it grew from there to a do all program. From upgrades and installs of everything from apps to whatever.

I find it to be bulky and cumbersome. Just can't get the hang of it. I'm having my young son come over and give me some lessions.

You've gotten some pretty bad info there. iTunes doesn't manage photos at all (for a start), doesn't have anything to do with upgrades or installs.

iTunes is the sync point for your media (and iOS apps) to your iOS devices. It also manages your music, and offers a storefront for (primarily) music, audiobooks and movies/TV.

The only other thing it really does is sync (and in some cases store) files you want to put on your iOS devices. Things that aren't going on your iOS devices aren't managed in iTunes.

I'm not saying iTunes isn't a bit overstretched with all that it offers: I think that's true. But so far, the advantages of having a central point to manage syncing between the Mac and iOS has outweighed the disadvantages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.