Buying a MacBook (White) - discoloration still occuring?

Reaction score
Hello there Mac-users!

So, I've finally decided to buy my first Mac, which probably is going to be a MacBook (White) and not a MacBook Pro; the sole reason being that I'm not prepared to pay the extra €400,- for a backlit keyboard and better screen.. although this really depends on the answer(s) I'm going to get on the question(s) I'm going to ask here.

I've read about discoloration on MacBooks where your palms rest and/or on the TrackPad. Is this discoloration still showing up on 'late 2009' models of the MacBook, or hasn't this been showing up anymore lately?

Also, I had a question performance wise. I was looking at the MacBook 2.26 GHz Core Duo, 4GB DDR3 and 320GB HDD. Would this be enough for general use? This would consist of intensive browsing, e-mailing, messaging, playing loads of music and here and there some Photoshop/Illustrator rendering. Will this setup suffice for this? Also, will this setup out-perform the low-end MacBook Pro (especially looking at the Photoshop/Illustrator rendering). Also, are the upgrades (2GB DDR3 --> 4GB DDR3 and 250GB --> 320GB) really worth it?

Thanks in advance =)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also, are the upgrades (2GB DDR3 --> 4GB DDR3 and 250GB --> 320GB) really worth it?

NO! Apple is notoriously over-priced when it comes to hard drive & ram upgrades!!!:( These are two things that can be easily & less expensively done yourself when you think you need the upgrades.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
Uchiha1911
Reaction score
NO! Apple is notoriously over-priced when it comes to hard drive & ram upgrades!!!:( These are two things that can be easily & less expensively done yourself when you think you need the upgrades.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Would any DDR3 RAM/2.5" 5400 HDD fit into the MacBook?

Figured out 4GB (1066) is the maximum I can put in the MacBook, this will cost me around €70-80,- I guess. A 500GB (2.5'') Western Digital/Samsung HDD will also cost me €80,- which is a significant amount below Apple's upgrade price. Would one of these HDD's do the job?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Goto OWC~MacSales and you get to chuck in your Mac Specs and when you choose RAM or Harddrives it will bring up all that are compatible with your machine.
On the marking of the White MB, I have a 2009 one and im a grub, and the palmrests do get a little dirty, but nothing a quick wipe will not fix :)

OP
Uchiha1911
Reaction score
I have found a 640 GB 2.5'' Western Digital HDD (WD6400BEVT) this would fit into the MacBook, wouldn't it?

Reaction score
I knew that *sigh*

From your original post, it didn't appear that you did...
So, I've finally decided to buy my first Mac, which probably is going to be a MacBook (White) and not a MacBook Pro; the sole reason being that I'm not prepared to pay the extra €400,- for a backlit keyboard and better screen..

My point was that the extra money spent on a MBP wouldn't be just for a "backlit keyboard and better screen" as you put it...

Reaction score
I have the 640gb wd hd in my macbook pro, installed it myself (i'm a novice to low intermediate on the skill level), and have had no problems with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook, 2.1Ghz C2D, 1GB RAM, 500Gb HDD, OSX Leopard 10.5.8
i got the cheapest macbook they had, i think the only regret would be that i cannot upgrade the video card later on as it's integrated, but i did manage to upgrade the hdd, so far with intensive browsing, dual boot, playing steam games, doing recording and the like music wize, tons of music tons of movies tons of anime, i haven't seen any performance issues as of yet, and i'm still running 1GB ram, all i have done is upgrade to a 500gb drive i bought of ebay,

so the top of the range macbook would certainly do what your asking, and i've even thought about doing photoshop, and never thought that the mac wouldn't handle it,

i can remember using emac's in photography class and they didn't fail, so i'm sure the macbook will be fine,

if you do want to upgrade yourself, make sure you leave your avenues open, if what i told was true, get one without an intergrated video card so you can swap in a new one later, otherwise ram and hdd are just behind the battery and a metal panel

Reaction score
ya yar what u heard about "discoloration" is true ,
i m using macbook white and the colour of my trackpad is faded up,
i am new hear.....

Reaction score
wmb

yea sure it doesn't have firewire or sd but ask yourself how often you would use them? It is easy to get an sd reader and I have not once used my firewire in the 4 years I have had my current black macbook.

I just bought the current white macbook I opted for the extra ram but only because I ended up with a 50% discount. The current macbook is not at all like previous ones and I am hopeful it will not discolour so easily.

I was not prepared to pay extra for a pro when the hard-drive was smaller.

OP
Uchiha1911
Reaction score
I've made my decision. I'm going to wait until the MBP gets updated and then I'll probably will be buying the 13' high-end version. Wouldn't be able to stand discoloration, and I do knoe this doesn't happen on a MacBook Pro (d'oh).

Thanks for your help all!

Reaction score
Ok first let me post some facts..... Anyone who does professional audio/video uses firewire and SD card probably every day.

Second there is a difference from Macbook and Macbook Pro than what you listed as well.

Lastly if you truly wanted a Mac you would buy one NOW, there will ALWAYS be something better in the future. With that said you can buy a white Macbook and get a protective white casing for it which would keep the outside clean.

The inside a you need is some professional laptop cleaner and keep your hands clean and you will never have that problem of it getting dirty.

Personally I still have my MBP from 2007 and waiting for a quad core for me to upgrade

peace

OP
Uchiha1911
Reaction score
At first, I'm not a professional audio/video editor, I just like to create backgrounds/vectors/logos in Illustrator.

Secondly, if I truly NEEDED a Mac right now, I'd buy one. But I'm not in need of one at the moment, I just want to own one. That's why I'll probably wait for the MBP update.

The only thing holding me back from buying a MacBook is discoloration (discoloration as in discoloration you can't just whipe off - chemical?)

That was the question. I don't know if this is still occuring, because I know it did several years ago. Plain dirt isn't a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.