Dual backup strategy for Macbook Pro 13"?

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a dual backup scenario I would like to put in place for my new Macbook Pro 13".

The first backup will be my Macbook Pro system and internal drive's files to External Hard Drive #1. I had planned to use Time Machine for this as this covers files I use on a daily basis. I think I'm good here.

The second backup process would be dropping files I rarely use but need stored, onto External Hard Drive #2. I would then need a backup/syncing option from External Hard Drive #2 to External Hard Drive #3 as there will no longer be a copy on the Macbook Pro itself.

My primary question is what to use for that Drive #2 to Drive # 3 Backup/Sync scenario. I'm looking for something I can run at will that will look at External Drive 2 and incrementally backup to Drive 3. Thoughts? Is there a simple, incremental, utility on the Macbook Pro that will accomplish this? Do I need to purchase something else...such as SuerDuper!...etc?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
or SuperDuper.
It is worth noting as well, it would be recommended to do a clone of your HD with either SD or CCC, so you have a bootable clone just in case that your internal crashes.
TM is a good strategy but it dosent make a bootable clone, so you would be up the creek and without your work.

Just food for thought

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Here is how i do it - i have a Voyager Q and 2 1T HDs both partitioned identically with smaller of 2 partitions for Superduper.
One HD being kept off site. Then every week or so when visiting Sis in Law take recent back up HD and swap it for one off site.
Then prior to doing any changes back home, do a Smart Update - takes 6 - 8 mins on Firewire 800.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.