• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A New Old Guy Here

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Bobtmay, Chuongster, Firesidedog -Thanks for your warm welcome and tips. Much appreciated.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
It took me a while to get used to using cmd for most of the keyboard shortcuts. It's still a slight problem because I'm now used to it and I often find myself pressing the wrong key when I'm not on a Mac.

Keyboard shortcuts will help make using OSX easier. Here are some big ones:

cmd + Q - Quit for most applications.
cmd + W - Closes window at current focus.
cmd + M - Minimise window at current focus which I rarely use because minimising windows isn't needed on Macs. It's easier to switch between them...
cmd + tab - Switch applications
cmd + ` - Switch application windows.
cmd + D - Hide windows and show desktop
cmd + Space - Use spotlight which allows you to find many things very quickly. Applications, files and even word definitions and the answer to calculations.
cmd + UP/DOWN - Easy way to navigate up and down directories in Finder
cmd + shift + 3 - Take a screenshot
cmd + shift + 4 - Take a screenshot of an area. Press space to switch to a mode which selects areas for you.
cmd + R - Refresh for all the browsers I have used which is Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome and I think Opera as well.
cmd + left and right - Go back and forwards in those browsers.
cmd + L - Highlight the URL address bar
cmd + K - For browsers with sperate search boxes this usually highlights that for quickness.

For common computer shortcuts replace ctrl with cmd like:

cmd + C - Copy
cmd + V - Paste
cmd + X - Cut
cmd + Z - Undo
cmd + shift + Z - Redo
cmd + S - Save

It may seem daunting, the idea of using these but once you get used to them they should make things much quicker and easier. They have helped me. I don't use all of them but many I do.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks, god0fgod - Printed a copy.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Pete (The Oldfella)
Hey there Pete. Didn't Apple sales people tell you that now you have a Mac you will be young again, and extremely attractive to the opposite sex, and it will also cure any cancer you may have in the future. ;D

But seriously, welcome. It's easier to learn once you get you computer so that you can try things hands on. One big difference that confuses people and is commonly used is how to install your applications.

On a Mac you don't really install programs like you do on Windows. Most applications you copy/drag over to your Applications folder to "install". There are a few applications that will actually go through an installer just like Windows but most of them don't. Make sure to memorize your computer's password because you'll need it. Also your Dock/Taskbar on Mac is where most people place their shortcuts but you can put them on your desktop like Windows. Unlike the Windows taskbar the Mac Dock shows currently opened applications if there is a dot underneath the shortcut icon so if you still see the dot then your app is still open. Some people wonder why their computer is so slow and didn't realize they left every app opened. ;)

I hate the desktop shortcut clutter so I have just about nothing on my desktop except for my wallpaper. You'll learn things as you use your Mac. Just ask questions when they come up.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks, EndlessMac - I'm nearing the Centennial mark, and need all the help I can get to at least keep my mind from wandering... you actually slowdown your mind's aging process by putting it to work. I see this PC-to-Mac change as a new "project", to keep out of the nursing home. I started "trying" to learn how to work this computer contraption in 1997, at the age of 80... I'm still learning!... Thank y'all for the encouragement I'm receiving here. Take care, friends.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Pete

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks, George - I'll check it out.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Hey Pete! I'm sure not an old guy, but when it comes to Macs I am. Been using them since the late 80s when I was but a tyke. My dad got me hooked young while he was getting his PhD at Dartmouth. He had a Macintosh SE/30 for doing his work on, and of course a couple sweet games like Lode Runner and Arkanoid. Anyway, I used the OS all while growing up, and when I hit about 10 and we got our first Power Mac with a color screen (7200/120), I really started trying to learn all I could about the internet and stuff. So, here I am years later, having been shouting it from the roof tops this whole time, Mac OS is the way to go!

Welcome, and any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We've got pretty much everything covered between the people in this community.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks, DarkesRitual - My project is on hold, MacConnections sent the wrong computer - I ordered the MB420LL/A, they sent the MB419LL/A - different enough to raise eyebrows, and my ire - a simple error, or hoping I didn't catch it. I sent them an email, asking for a prepaid shipping label - I hope I don't have any problems with them honoring my requst for the return. Regards.

Pete (The Oldfella)

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Hi. Folks - I am now on my new iMac, and am trying to learn this contraption. I decided to use my Microsoft "Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000", which is compatible and works with the Mac. There is one key on the Mac keyboard which is used for inserting and ejecting out a CD. It's a solid arrow pointing upward with an under dash. The only key (the top silver action keys at the top of this keyboard) looks like this: >/= - with the equal symbol in a vertical position. Could this key be used for the CD insertion and ejection? Thanks for your help.

Pete (The Oldfella)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That is the Eject key, and the symbol you're referring to is the universal "eject" symbol used on all consumer electronics (including VCRs, where it originated).

When you want to insert a disc, you just insert it. If you happen to be using a keyboard that does not have an eject key, you can easily eject the disc simply by dragging its icon onto the trash can. You can also right-click the disc icon and click 'Eject'.

Additionally, if you find that a disc will not eject for whatever reason, you can reboot the machine and hold the left mouse button immediately after the machine starts to boot back up. This will force an eject.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I have to also note that you can press Windows key + E when highlighting the disc icon on your desktop or in finder, and that will also eject the disc. That will also work in iTunes, whether you have an iPod/iPhone or CD in. It will also eject thumb drive icons, disc images, external HDs and other devices like phones plugged in via USB.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks, Cuhnool - Good info as well.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea, you should really get used to an apple keyboard, though. The layout is perfect for the operating system (command key and hotkeys, etc).

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Well, I guess I'm trouble - The disc will not eject using the methods mentioned above. :Oops: Any thoughts? Thanks.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
If you are trying the force eject, use a wired mouse if possible. The wireless mouse might not connect to the computer right away after its been rebooted. Good Luck, I hope you can get the disk out :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13.3" 2.26GHz C2D & 2 GB 1067MHz DDR3
Hello and welcome. I'm both new to the forums and Macs my self too, oldfella.

Here is a PDF document (which will open right up in Safari for you :)) that is great for your situation (as well as all the links and websites mentioned here). I hope it helps.

The Mac Manual

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks, MrCrilly - I saved it.

Pete

Reaction score
Did you try dragging the disk into the trash? When you get to the trash, you will see it looks like the eject button on a VCR or DVD, just put the disk into it and it will pop out of your drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.