• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A New Old Guy Here

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks, Generic Chick - Good info, I'll keep this in mind. What I had to do, before shutting down last night, I hooked-up the Mac Keyboard and worked it from there. This morning I looked into reprogramming one of he hot keys on the MS keyboard to "Eject" - I'll test it next time. Again, thanks, all.

Pete

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
I have another hot question: Since these new contraptions have internal speakers, I wonder if I can use my external speakers by plugging them in the headset output hole - has any one done this? Thanks.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13.3" 2.26GHz C2D & 2 GB 1067MHz DDR3
Yes, Pete. This isn't an issue. I do this my self. I have a simple set of speaker with a sub. thing and I just plug it straight into the head phone jack.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks Mr Crilly - It's good to know. For my purpose, the internal speakers do fine, but it's a shame not to be able to use my good speakers. My son has bids on my PC, I hope he does not need or want the speakers.

I hope the weather in Liverpool is warm and sunny, We have snow and it's below freezing here in Tennessee USA. Take care, my friend. Regards.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Pete,

I'm glad you found my advice useful. Liverpool is wet, windy and cold I'm afraid :(

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
I have another question, before I go to bed: Is Firefox email program similar to Outlook Express...and does it have a spell checker, like "ispell" - I can't get used to Apple's email program. Thanks.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have another question, before I go to bed: Is Firefox email program similar to Outlook Express...and does it have a spell checker, like "ispell" - I can't get used to Apple's email program. Thanks.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Do you mean Thunderbird? OS X comes with a spell checker built-in so as you're typing it will offer suggestions and auto-correct common mistakes. Try it out. Try typing something wrong into a text field on a web page, or into TextEdit or another application; you'll find that OS X comes swooping in and draws a little dotted red line under your misspelt word :)

If you don't like Mail, consider using Postbox or Entourage.

Cheers.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Yes, but I like "ispell" much better - it gives you a number of word choices. I am not a typist, never did learn, and I'm a poor speller to boot - my fingers keep hitting adjacent keys and am not looking at the screen, so by the time I finish typing there are a number to "typos" I have to correct and the spell check available only gives one choice. As an example, type the word "adjacent" with an unknown spelling, and see what you get; the program gave me a totally irrelevant word as a replacement choice, only one choice.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Three helpers;
Type the first letters of a word such as pie, then leave insertion cursor there and hit Command/Period to get complete list of words starting with those letters;
Second with mouse over any word hit Command/Control/D to get a definition of that word.
Third with cursor between transposed letters viz sue - place cursor between s and u then hit Control/T and it becomes use.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks, Collin, good to know - but that takes as long, or almost as long as looking it-up in the dictionary, me thinks.

Pete

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Any of my friends here has a coupon code for the "Postbox" email program, it'll save me $10 bucks (USD)... I think I'll buy that one... it resembles the MS Outlook Express email program I am used to. Thanks.

Pete

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Update

I thought you would like to know how I'm coming along... fine, thanks; leaning more each day. I have a non-technical question: beside the small cleaning cloth provided, what else and how can I clean this huge screen?
thanks.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I have a non-technical question: beside the small cleaning cloth provided, what else and how can I clean this huge screen?
thanks.

Pete
I just use the free cleaning cloth but if you want a bigger one then buy any good microfiber cloth and it will work. I find that's all I really need. I don't use any liquid cleaners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Ionized water (windex dries out the screen) and the microfiber cloth that came with your mac (or get some other cheapo replacements at best buy).

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks for that info, friends.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
DarkestRitual, I use just a hint of windex on a cotton cloth to wipe down my screen. Is that going to take a toll on the screen? Like I say I barely use any.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
They say you're not supposed to do that... I use windex on a paper towel... REALLY bad. For the really cheap price it costs me as a best buy employee to buy the water and wipes kit, I think I'll probably do that tomorrow.

It will supposedly take a toll on the screen. The alcohol evaporating will dry out the screen, it makes sense. But yea... not terribly sure how much damage you'll do.

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
iWork

I wish I had known there were other (free) choices than "iWork" - I have no use for this program, and would like to pass it on to my son should he decide to switch to Mac - problem is, I'm not sure I registered. How do I go about finding out if I registered iWork. Thanks.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
When I try to open my expired 30-day trial version of Numbers, it asks me for a serial number. So, you do "register" iWork. Do you have it on a retail disc?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.