Can I save this hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Tower: 2x2.8 Quad & 13"MacBook Pro & an old mirror face G4
I have a LaCie external "big disc extreme +" 1TB hard drive that I tried to copy some movie files onto to get them off my computer.

Once I did that the hard drive is no longer able to have files added or removed. I can't even partition the drive to clean it out without getting an error message that the disc cannot be unmounted.

I also have to force eject it to get the drive off my desktop.

Is there a trick that might save this hard drive for me, or is it a write off?
:(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check the drive with Disk Utility. Use the First Aid option and select "Verify and Repair". If DU can't see the drive or can not repair it, you might need special software to get at your data.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Tower: 2x2.8 Quad & 13"MacBook Pro & an old mirror face G4
I tried DU, but it didn't work, unfortunately.

I am not so concerned with saving the files. They are all just avi files of my DVD collection that I still have on my computer. I am more interested in saving the external hard drive. It doesn't look like it is going to work out.

Thanks for your suggestions though. Much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.