Hard disk and Time Machine issue

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a LaCie Hard disk 500GB USB2 FireWire 400 to use as my back up for the Time Machine.

I run two Macbooks, so partitioned the hard disk in two using Disk Utility. The problem is that the HDD only appears on one computer at a time. Is this normal, or have I done something wrong?

And if you can only use the HDD on one macbook at a time, is it still ok to run the Time Machine for both macbooks on the one, partitioned HDD, but just plug it in to the different macbooks at different times of the day?

Really appreciate your help.

Cheers!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. How r u connecting the 2 MBs to the internet? Do u have a LAN? What OS 10.5 or 10.6? 2 MBs can be backed up to one HD using Time Machine

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome!

We use an airport extreme to connect to the internet.

The MBs run OS X 10.6.2 with Snow Leopard.

The HD has two FireWire 400 ports, so we're using those to connect the 2 MBs.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have a read thru my posts here and check out the link for McBie, that should give some choices to consider.
You could connect the HD to the extreme and use TM on both MBs to back up to Ext HD but IMO that is only part of the equation

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.