Hard drive - speed vs battery life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 unibody
Seems like I've been waiting on the i5/i7 refresh forever now, but since there is absolutely no hints from Apple as to when (and if) this refresh will ever happen, I am close to submitting and getting the core 2.

Concerning the hard drive speed. I am trying to get an idea of which hard drive speed to choose. The only 2 variables is the performance versus battery life. Based on my usage (which is just simple home use, nothing too demanding), can anyone help me to determine the thresh-hold between the speed gained from going 5200rpm to 7200rpm versus the battery life lost? Obviously the faster HD is more appealing, but how much battery time would I loose? The computer is a 15" MBP 2.8ghz. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
I didn't notice any battery difference going from the standard 250GB 5200rpm drive, to a new 500GB 7200rpm drive. negligible, if at all, for me. 2.4GHZ 15" MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
Todays hard drives are so efficient, it's all but impossible to notice a difference in battery life. Of far greater importance is the speed you will gain, as your apps will launch faster, web pages will open faster, etc. Go for the 7200rpm drive. You will be happy you did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.