New switcher: iMac vs MacBook

Reaction score
Hy,

I never had one, but I'm thinking of to get a Mac. I don't really need a portable computer, becouse I always work at home. Would it make any sense for me to buy a MacBook, does it have any other precedence than portability?

Thanks!

C

chas_m

No.

In fact, at this particular moment in time, the iMacs have a large advantage over MacBooks (even MacBook Pros) because of the new Intel chip inside the iMacs. That "advantage" won't last, of course, but at the time of this writing its a substantial advantage.

From what you've written, I'd say an iMac is the right choice, possibly supplemented with an iPad now or down the road (for lighter internet/entertainment tasks away from the desk).

Reaction score
I have both. I use my iMac more than my macbook.

Ginny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Another issue apart from portability is screen real estate and cost. You can get a 27 inch screen imac for less than a 17 inch screen Macbook Pro. And the same goes for the lower models too.

So you get more screen real estate and new intel chips. So The only reason to get a MB or MBP now in my opinion is if you need the portability. Which you don't. So I'd say an imac probably would be a better choice for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I use the macbook pro traveling or in coffee shops as well as on the coffee table if I need to google or something while watching tv but work on the iMac WAYYY more...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
Get the Macbook. You'll find that you use it more. You can take it with you, bring it to bed. Also, I like the touchpad better than the MagicMouse.

Obviously, the Macbook is more of an all-around useful. The iMac has a bigger screen and is more powerful for the money. If you're sure you won't want to take it with you some time, get the iMac. Otherwise, Macbook.

At home, I didn't need a laptop either. But when my wife got one, we were fighting over it to surf on when there are commercials on TV.

Reaction score
Personally I'd go for the Macbook. That's simply because I don't like to be couped up in one place for too long and having the option of being able to pick up and move someplace else and still be able to work is nice.

That's just me though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
To me, it's like I can bring my own computing environment (World) with me, whether at work, or whether I'm at Snowshoe, WV (I love it there!) or I'm at the beach. I have my stuff with me.

I love my MBP, best laptop I have ever had bar none. I used to have a desktop, but felt to tethered to it. I don't like to have a static connection to my main computers.

Just my $0.02

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
I went with the 13" MacBook Pro for portability and added the 24" Cinema Display along with the Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse. It gives me the best of both worlds, of course at a premium.

Reaction score
Hy,

I never had one, but I'm thinking of to get a Mac. I don't really need a portable computer, becouse I always work at home. Would it make any sense for me to buy a MacBook, does it have any other precedence than portability?

Thanks!

Well, if you have to move around from one room to the other (for whatever reason), like you decide to work in your bedroom instead of your living room, your kitchen instead of your living room etc. then I would invest in a MacBook or even a 13" MacBook Pro. Either of them are good choices. If you have an office and it is used exactly like an office- which I assume you do- then an iMac, or even a Mac mini will suit you. The beauty of a Mac mini is that you don't have to buy anything new (unless this is your first desktop computer). Just a word to the wise- invest in DDR3 RAM and a new hard drive. Internal if you want to go that route, is a bit difficult. External is better if you want to store files. In fact, for most people, external is the way to go.

OP
A
Reaction score
I already have a laptop and a PC now. I use the PC as my main computer and work on it, but my laptop just in cases you mantioned ... In bed, for surfing on the net, just for fun etc. I think I'll get the both Macs, but not at the same time. So I just thought maybe there's something else about the MacBook I don't know (besides the portability) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
I bet once you start working on the Macbook, you'll find that you suddenly do feel tethered when you're forced to only work in one place with a desktop.

Reaction score
apple arn't in any apparent hurry to refresh the macbook pros.

i love the idea of adding a macbook pro to close my switch from windows but the HP envy is seriously good and pound for pound a ton more computer for the money...I'm amazed apple wasted their recent announcment on a Toy tablet instead of a serious product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (late 09) 2.26, 2 gb, 160, 1 tb hitachi 7200 ext hdd. Macbook 2.26, 4 gb, 360 hdd 3G Iphone
Just do like I did, got a mb 4gb ram 320 hdd, and then a mac mini with a 3rd party monitor, best of both worlds if your on the go alot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.