Mac Mail losing attachments

R

rick4676

When I receive emails from certain people (usually PCs) I can see the attachment in the "file size" - but it vanishes when I open the email.
What's going on? - How do I get the attachments?

MacOS : Snow Leopard
Mac Mail version 4.2

See attached pic. (remaining 44K is just my autosig)
4327947260_f7ac5fb89e_o.png

Reaction score
I too am having the exact same problem. Attachments randomly dissappearing, but with original file size being reported.

Not sure but it seems to happen when mail is moved to local storage off the IMAP server. And it does not happen straight away.

MacOS snow leopard
Mail 4.2

Also using Mail Act-On and Mail Tags

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Oftentimes it's because it is not really an attachment.

I have that happen from business partners that have the company logo in their signature.
Initially says it's an attachment, but when you open the email, it puts the icon/jpg/whatever in the body of the email where it belongs.

Happens in Outlook on my Win XP machines also. But there, it still indicates there is an attachment. You open it, and it's just the logo from their signature or something.

Reaction score
bobtomay,

Thanks for you input, but it is not the 'psuedo' attachments you refer too. For example I have received a ppt or docx which I have viewed, but on returning to it is no longer there.

In addition the size of the file reported in the inbox pane is normally in the range of megabytes, within the mail I can see the attachment icon (reporting as xls, or ppt or pdf), but it reports 0 bytes. When I attempt to open the attachment, then the associated program will run, be it Word or Excel or Powerpoint, but there will be no data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.