iMac slowdown

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I have a 20" iMag G5, with the standard specs, ie 512 MB RAM, 250GB SATA.

I seem to notice that my mac can experience some slowdown. I'm wondering why this is, and kind of nervous if I made the right choice to pay close to 2 grand for this computer. I love the looks, UI, Unix core, etc, but I don't like this slow down.

Now, coming from the PC world, I am used to multitasking. So, naturally on my Mac I will be running more than one application at a time. Typically when I experience the slowdown I have something like Safari with 4-5 tabs, Mail, LimeWire, Folding@Home, iTunes, and iChat open. When I do, operations such as raising or lowering the volume via keyboard, clicking on menus, etc seem to be sluggish on reacting.

I am hoping that this is an issue of not enough RAM on the system. What do you think? Do you think this is an issue of not enough RAM, or just not enough GHz. I don't mind if an application takes a few seconds to load, but once it is up, I want it to react to my input immediatly. If I want to increase the volume, I want it to happen as soon as I hit the button.

I can live with the computer being a bit sluggish, although if it is simply "normal" to be this way, then I am kinda dissapointed in Mac. I am hoping that this is simply a side effect of 512MB of RAM rather than normal. I just want to make sure before I decide to get more RAM. If RAM will help out, I will go with a 1 GB stick from newegg for a total of 1.5GB or if one of my friends wants to upgrade thier new iMacs, i will give them the 512 and get two 1GB for a total of 2 GB of RAM.

Other than the slowdown when I have multiple applications running, I am loving the Mac, I just want to see if I can get it to be even better.

Thankfull for any advice,

Nathan

C

crazycanadian

From what it sounds like, probably the best solution would be to throw some more ram in there. I know that even with my mini (512mb), I could still use more or want more.

OP
claudius753
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
That's what I have been thinking (hoping!)

I don't subscribe to the Mhz Myth. For instance, I know that a 2.4 GHz AMD 64 can whip the tar out of a 3~ GHZ P4. I assumed that the same was true, the PPC is more efficient than a P4, like an AMD Atlon 64, and it was just my RAM is not enough.

My current hopes are that with an upgrade of RAM to 1.5GB the 2.0 GHz G5 iMac will tackle everything I can throw at it for at least 2 years at which point I hope a new PPC (G6? will that be possible with pontiac's marketing?) at 3 or more GHz and multi-core will be available for the next iteration of iMac, and the older iMac (G5) will go to the parents who are freaking out that this comp/sci major is using a Macintosh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I have the same system. I expirience that kind of slow down when I have Mail, iChat, Safari, iCal, iPhoto, and iDVD open. I just ordered another 512MB of RAM, should be in today or tomorrow. I'll let you know if it helps (I'm going to assume it will)

Thanks,
Ray

F

flyingpostman

Limewire is a resource pig. I have a gig of ram and if you have 5-10 d/l's going it slows the system down. Limewire uses java and is cross-platform.

M

mogwai

In my opinion apple, instead of giving us new extra stupid features like dashboard which most users (especially pro users) won't use, it should concentrate on optimizing the OSX to improve the whole user experience. I heard a lot of pro users complaining with perforamance even on latest g5s. Pro users need speed and good multitasking and not widgets. If apple continues like this it will loose its ever faithful professional user base.
I really don't want that this happens :( Most pc users which are accostomed to the speed of a PC will switch to mac and they will be dissappointed to spend so much money on a machine which turns out slower! - don't consider the hardcore mac userbase only (me included)

C

code777

I just upped my RAM to 1GB. I did the whole "in pairs" and I do notice some performance increase for sure. I use to have 768 before that and a lot of people told me I would not see any difference adding an extra 256 but since I did I DO notice a speed increase in certain apps. I don't know if its because I am using two 512s in pairs (exact part numbers) and its doing the 128bit or whatever...

But when i use iMovie I always quit every app (even widgets) to make it run better. I never have iMovie or iDVD running at the same time but when i did the other day with 1GB it ran real smooth. With 768 it was choppy at times. But out of habit i never have many apps open at once.

If need be in the future i'll buy two 1GB sticks for a total of 2GB but I highly doubt i'll need that unless i get into graphic design or more advanced movie editing programs...

But yeah widgets take up some serious MB and I never knew that until looking at the activity monitor.

btw - Limewire is a hog when it comes to memory. especially if you are downloading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
Here's a quick question. How do you turn off Dashboard or stop it from loading since I never use it.

Thanks,
Ray

B

badmojo

flyingpostman said:
Limewire is a resource pig. I have a gig of ram and if you have 5-10 d/l's going it slows the system down. Limewire uses java and is cross-platform.

Yes it is. It's poorly written software, imo. Lose the Limewire and see how your mac responds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.