• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

IMovie Project Problem...Please help...

Reaction score
Hi, I have a video project due Saturday and have a problem. I created the IMovie Project in IMovie HD 6.0.3. Total size was 7.64 GB and was copied to a usb thumb drive. I tried to transfer the file on to my friends Macbook and it did not recognize the file. He has IMovie 09 so not sure if it's a compatibility issue or what?. I'm using an Imac G5 (not intel), He is using a Macbook Pro and we are both running leopard. We used a Toshiba thumb drive and when saved on my mac the Imovie project with the star appeared on the drive. When I plugged it the drive into his Macbook Pro it read the file totally different! It showed the project as a folder and broke it down into many different parts. The actual IMovie Project (instead of the star icon looked like a PC file.) We can't figure this out and it's needed this saturday. Any help would be very much appreciated...
Sorry for the book but was trying to add as much detail as possible...
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
It may be because its different versions of imovie but Im pretty sure I read somewhere you can bring movies from older versions onto new versions.

Im guessing you are copying the save file from one computer to another. You may try exporting using quicktime. Then bring the quicktime movie (.mov) to the other computer and import it into imovie.

C

chas_m

An iMovie project LOOKS like a single file, but it isn't. It's a package (a collection of folders and files wrapped together.

I suspect what the problem was is that putting it on a PC-formatted thumb drive, the drive didn't know what to make of this "file" and de-packaged it for ya.

There's already a thread that answers this here, as it turns out! (just found it myself!)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/movies-video/175220-opening-imovie-hd-movies-imovie-09-a.html

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the help. chas m I think you are right. The thumb drive says it will work with Mac but originally was prob formatted for windows. (I think they call it Fat32)format. My only question would be why didn't it break down the IMovie project into parts when I saved it on my Mac to that thumb drive. It saved as 1 IMovie file? Well this helps and we will format and try again. I'll post the outcome as soon as I find out.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.