OS 10.4.2 install disc 2 keeps ejecting

Reaction score
I'm trying to reinstall the OS on an iMac G5, using the cds that came with the machine. The first cd installed successfully, however, the second disc keeps being ejected. I've tried using my other computer to install using target disk mode (i've used this method successfully for a macbook with a damaged optical drive), but it doesn't recognize the other computer, and just keeps saying to insert Disc 2. Any advice would be appreciated - the computer was running slowly before, but now its useless. Also, I don't think it's a hard drive issue - the hard drive was replaced fairy recently.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm trying to reinstall the OS on an iMac G5, using the cds that came with the machine.

I've tried using my other computer to install using target disk mode (i've used this method successfully for a macbook with a damaged optical drive), but it doesn't recognize the other computer, and just keeps saying to insert Disc 2.

If you're using the grey/silver disks that came with the iMac G5...that's why it won't install on any other computer you have. The grey/silver disks are model specific...and generally ONLY work on the computer model that they came with.

Why disk #2 doesn't work on your iMac G5...is hard to say...maybe disk #2 is damaged, scratched, smudged. or dirty in some way.

My two questions for you is.:

1. Did you buy this iMac G5 new or used? If used...then those grey/silver disks may not even be the original disks. Most of these disks don't say what model computer they are meant for ...so they could be any ol' disks the previous owner threw in with the deal.

2. Have you ever successfully installed OS 10.4.2 (using these same disks) on this iMac G5?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Your other computer have the same OS and a PPC - If so then you could make a .dmg of it using Disk Utility, erase the drive on the G5 and restore the .dmg to it. Better to avoid that method if the other computer is Intel, and then download Combo Updater and bring it up to date.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, I am using the grey/silver disks that came with my computer - which I purchased new. I personally have not installed the OS on my computer; however, I assume the place that installed the new hard drive a while back did.
My other computers are Intel, not PPCs. I have no way of erasing the drive on the G5 because when it says to insert disks there are no other available options - I can't do anything.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I am using the grey/silver disks that came with my computer - which I purchased new. I personally have not installed the OS on my computer; however, I assume the place that installed the new hard drive a while back did.
My other computers are Intel, not PPCs. I have no way of erasing the drive on the G5 because when it says to insert disks there are no other available options - I can't do anything.

Thanks a bunch for the additional info!

Good deal that you bought this computer brand new...because then we know that the grey/silver disks that you have are the correct install disks for your computer model.

Can I assume that if you never installed the OS on your iMac G5...that the the grey/silver disks have never been used before now...thus they should be in perfect shape?

I'm also slightly confused. Is your iMac G5 at the moment working (bootable & able to do things)...and if so...how come you want to reinstall the OS?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
The grey/silver disks were used once to install the OS when I had my harddrive replaced a while back. They look to be in perfect condition - clean, no scratches, etc.
Prior to attempting to reinstall the OS, the computer was bootable. However, it was running very slowly, and applications were continually crashing, including Finder. It also wouldn't wake from sleep sometimes. It short, it was pretty much unusable. I purchased a 27" iMac to replace it, and just want to get the G5 working again so I can sell it.
Now that I'm halfway through the OS installation process, it is completely unusable. I've tried to boot from the first disc again to try the installation process from the start, as well as attempted to boot from an ubuntu disc to see if that would work - but I just get the "please insert disk 2 message". I've also tried to boot in safe mode, but it doesn't get past the apple screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I think you're now down to using Disk Warrior, you've done most other things to get the G5 going. DW is expensive @~US$100, but it may be worth it to you, especially as you now have your new iMac.

Alternatively, take your G5 to a Mac tech who has DW to use - that option may be cheaper.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried to boot from the first disc again to try the installation process from the start, as well as attempted to boot from an ubuntu disc to see if that would work - but I just get the "please insert disk 2 message".

The only thing I can think of to try at the moment is try to boot from install disk #1. If you can do this...open Disk Utility, and reformat the hard drive. Then try to do the OS install again.

If your computer was still bootable from the hard drive (the way it was before the attempts at the OS install)...we might have been able to try some other things first.

Hopefully reformatting the hard drive will lead to success,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I was finally able to get disc 2 installed - I have no idea why it finally worked. Thanks for everyone's help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was finally able to get disc 2 installed - I have no idea why it finally worked. Thanks for everyone's help.

Congrats!:)

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but it showed up in my recent search for the same issue. If anyone else has this problem-- you can hold the option key down when putting the second install disc in and it will read it.

Reaction score
Same issue

I am having the exact same issue as listed above. I bought this iMac new and have the original install discs but disc two won't work. I tried holding down the option key when inserting the disc and that doesn't work for me either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.