Fat32 formatted drive wont mount...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black, 2.16Ghz, 2Gb Ram
Ive searched the forums but can't find a fix for this.

I have an external LaCie drive that ive is pre-formatted as Fat32 so i can access it on Windows. Its worked fine on both Mac and PC since i bought it.
I just plugged it into my Mac today and it wont mount.
The drive is recognised in Disk Utility and ive tried verifying and repairing it, which is successful, but still wont mount. The 'Mount' icon is greyed out.
I have the same problem on my other Mac. I don't have a Windows machine to hand but ive plugged it into my PS3 and it reads fine. I can access all the files.

My main Mac is Intel running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and the other is PowerPC running Leopard 10.5.8.

Anyone know what I can do to access the drive from my Mac?
I used it recently to backup my Mac's HDD when i upgraded to Snow Leopard, so i know it works.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
you used a fat 32 formatted drive to back up your system ?

Clay

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, by backed up I mean I copied some files that are only backed up on one external, like all my music etc, so that when i ran the SL install I knew I had 2 copies.
But now it wont read on either Mac machine.
But like I said, i can read all the files just fine via my PS3 (so im guessing also by Windows) so i know the drive isnt dead.

I could just wipe it and reformat it but theres a lot of information on it and it would take a long time to back it all back up again from my main backup, so i'd prefer not to do that.
Is there a way of forcing my Mac to mount the Fat32 drive?

Thanks

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone have a fix for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sadly I think you are going to have to re-format.
There isn't a way of forcing it to mount, and if disk utility see it, it's a bit odd.
One thing you could try is to verify your permissions on your Mac, because it may just be a permissions issue preventing it from showing on your desktop.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

You might be suffering from the "Invisible Drive Syndrome". See the following article and try the procedure given before you decide to wipe the drive.

LINK

Let us know if it works.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for your posts.
I plugged it in today to try chscag's suggestion and the drive mounted fine on my laptop.
I've no idea why its suddenly working.
@Kevriano - I had already tried repairing the permissions on both macs with no fix.

Thanks everyone and if it happens again ill repost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.