Hooking Up Linksys WRT54G

Reaction score
I finally was able to get internet directly to my Macbook from the router that the internet service provider sent. I then hooked their ethernet cable up to the linksys wireless router and then an ethernet cable from it to my macbook. I am still getting internet. When I go to the Basic Setup page that linksys provides and try to save my changes, I get an error that says safari can't open page, unexpectedly dropped from server. I think I am entering everything ok. I guess I need some guidance as what to do, what numbers to put into Network under System Preferences, and things like that. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try opening the Admin page in Firefox - i had trouble trying to save changes in Safari while setting up a Linksys.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have the Firefox browser installed? If you do... what Collin is saying is to open the ADMIN page for the router using Firefox not Safari. Check your Linksys manual for the IP address of the ADMIN page where you can make your adjustments.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Any other ideas. Anyone have any steps or a website that will be useful? I did find some things online, but its still not letting me save anything, and not sure of the ip address and other numbers as well.

Reaction score
The default address for the router is 192.168.1.1
Just put this in the address bar in Firefox the default user is root the password is admin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.