Prospective Convert

K

kappa4life7987

Well I think my time has come. Im getting ready to go to college next year and have been on the PC bandwagon as long as I can remember. I have built most of my computers but most have had their fair share of problems. My current computer is starting to crap out on me.

Anyway, it alll started at school basically. We had ibooks to use in our newspaper class and I fell in love, literally. So now the time has come to get portable for college and I think its time for my parents to get a new computer for at home. Here is the plans.

Me:

12" PB 1.5
60g HD
512 or 768 ram(havent made up my mind...help??)
Etc, Etc.

Parents:

17" iMac G5 1.8
160g HD
1Gig ram
Wireless KB&M
Etc, Etc.

Sound like good choices?

What all do I need to know about making the switch?

TIA,

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
personally, i just jumped in. i went to where ever they sold macs and played with them until they kicked me out. it sounds like you have experience already. those 2 sound like good choices to me.

OP
E

embries

as far as the ram on the PB, go as far as you can. If you buy the memory from a 3rd party vendor, like newegg or crucial, you'll get it well cheaper than what Apple charges.

OP
B

badmojo

kappa4life7987 said:
Well I think my time has come. Im getting ready to go to college next year and have been on the PC bandwagon as long as I can remember. I have built most of my computers but most have had their fair share of problems. My current computer is starting to crap out on me.

Anyway, it alll started at school basically. We had ibooks to use in our newspaper class and I fell in love, literally. So now the time has come to get portable for college and I think its time for my parents to get a new computer for at home. Here is the plans.

Me:

12" PB 1.5
60g HD
512 or 768 ram(havent made up my mind...help??)
Etc, Etc.

Parents:

17" iMac G5 1.8
160g HD
1Gig ram
Wireless KB&M
Etc, Etc.

Sound like good choices?

What all do I need to know about making the switch?

TIA,

Josh

Good call, so far. You don't need help...the more ram the better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
I agree with everyone else...............the more RAM the better. But as embries stated, do some comparison shopping before upgrading with Apple. You will save some money if you do.

OP
K

kappa4life7987

scooter said:
I agree with everyone else...............the more RAM the better. But as embries stated, do some comparison shopping before upgrading with Apple. You will save some money if you do.

Yea. I have checked around. Dealram.com has helped me out. Man oh Man Im excited:)

Josh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.