MBP problems with External HD - Add/Delete

Reaction score
I can't seem to recall how I worked around this to begin with but the problem returned.

I have a WD external passport HD that is NTFS formatted that I use with my MBP...I add/delete content to it almost on a daily basis.

Yesterday, my MBP went to sleep and drained the battery while the external HD was still connected...When I reconnected the power supply and fired the MBP up, I noticed that I couldn't add/delete files to the external HD anymore.

Anyone recommend a solution?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not much info to go on.... How were you reading and writing to the NTFS drive before the problem occurred? Paragon NTFS? NTFS-3G?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Is the Ext HD mounting on Desktop when it is connected? Can you see the icon?

OP
F
Reaction score
Not much info to go on.... How were you reading and writing to the NTFS drive before the problem occurred? Paragon NTFS? NTFS-3G?

Regards.

NTFS-3G...Been doing that really, almost daily for more than 6 months now...Suddenly isn't able to now, only read permission to the external HD

OP
F
Reaction score
Is the Ext HD mounting on Desktop when it is connected? Can you see the icon?

Yep, sees it fine...I can even copy items from within the external HD to the Mac's native HD...The other way around though, nope :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
NTFS-3G...Been doing that really, almost daily for more than 6 months now...Suddenly isn't able to now, only read permission to the external HD

Try removing NTFS-3G and reinstalling it. Some of us who have used it have found it to be unstable and unreliable which is why I purchased Paragon NTFS. It seems to work much better.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
I have a western digital EX HD also, it's made for pc/mac. I was able to save things to it prior to using with MAC. Just now i noticed it says "you can read only" for permissions. What's up with that? can i change it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.