Upgrading a g4 power mac

Reaction score
Hey there

I am really new and I am trying to find out if it is worth upgrading this g4 or buying a new computer. The computer is really slow and is used for video editing. Currently it has Final Cut Pro 2 on it and I would like to upgrade to a higher version.

Mac
Machine Model Power Mac G4
CPU Type Power PC G4 [2.9]
Number of CPU's 2
Dual 450 Mhz Power PC G4
Memory 768MB SD RAM
Speed 450 MHz
L2 Cache [per cpu] 1mb
Bus Speed 100MHz
Boost Rom Version 3.3.4f1
Virtual Ram 16mb
Firewire 400mb/sec
Driver com.apple.driver.APPLESCCSerial [v1.2.6]
Ser# XB0380URJBC

I don't know if that's all you need to know.

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Simple answer is no.

Have gone this way when Leopard was first released but cost prohibitive now and G5s and early Intel iMacs and Minis are very cheap. You are stuck with a 100MHz bus system and old, old architecture.

If this was the dinosaur age you would be riding say a Brontosaurus as Fred Flinstone used at the quarry. Sorry mate.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks at least I know where I stand with this computer. Do you know what I should be looking for when it comes to picking up a computer? I don't have a bunch of money and I am looking to run FCP 5.1 about what price might I be looking at? I don't care if the computer is used or a few years older.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
Thanks at least I know where I stand with this computer. Do you know what I should be looking for when it comes to picking up a computer? I don't have a bunch of money and I am looking to run FCP 5.1 about what price might I be looking at? I don't care if the computer is used or a few years older.

Thanks

Whats your budget ? you looking towards $1000 and lower ?
if you don't mind a refurb you cause always try a 20" imac

cheaper then new at a $849.00 pricepoint

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah, about around $1000 is all I can afford at the moment. I might be able to do as high as $1300 or so but that is pushing it.

I have no problem with purchasing a refurbished mac in fact I think that might be my only option at the moment. I will definitely check out the link.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.