Wireless Self-Assign ip address

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13.3" MacBook Pro: 300GB HDD, 2.53 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM/ 80GB iPod Video Classic
Hey all,

I can't seem to connect to the wireless here at my school. It was fine up until about 2 weeks ago and then it just stopped working. The wired internet works fine, but my wireless seems to be assiging a self-assigned ip address. I've gone to theIT department, but they can't seem to fix it. I've done the basic turn off and on, re-add the network stuff, but no go. Also, the college here has a dialogue box that comes up and asks me for my username and password whenever I connect to the wirelss. This stopped happening when the problems began.

If any one can help, it'll be much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you laptop is self assigning the IP then it means it is not being given an IP address. What is doing the DHCP and is it also doing the wireless network and does that unit now have access control. What was upgraded about 2 weeks ago? Have you changed your Sys Prefs > Network > Airport - it should be set to Using DHCP

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13.3" MacBook Pro: 300GB HDD, 2.53 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM/ 80GB iPod Video Classic
If you laptop is self assigning the IP then it means it is not being given an IP address. What is doing the DHCP and is it also doing the wireless network and does that unit now have access control. What was upgraded about 2 weeks ago? Have you changed your Sys Prefs > Network > Airport - it should be set to Using DHCP

I can't recall anything being updated 2 weeks ago. And yes, the DHCP is set to on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - then try this - First set up a Location for School - go into Sys Prefs > Network > Airport > Location - edit Locations. With that done and selected see here and MB connected make sure the DNS numbers for school ISP are showing up Sys Pefs > Network > Airport - should be showing a Primary and Secondary DNS IP number for your ISP at school. If it is not then add like this. Leave Location - Automatic, for your public places. Perhaps even set up another Location for Home.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like this? I just added those two. I used whatismyip.com to figure them out. I have more than one ip. I believe I have 3. I added two. So it's not a static ip address.

thisone.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No - you need the DNS numbers of the ISP at the place where it is connecting. That is why you are setting up a Location because that is the only place where those DNS numbers will be used. Go to the setting page for the ISP that supplies the service where you are connecting. In my case xnet.co.nz = 58.28.5.2 - same thing, just a different way of writing it.
It should show up like this;

Click for full size

if it does not show like this then you add them. Your routers address should show up as well.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Go to the setting page for the ISP that supplies the service where you are connecting."

How do I find the setting page? Just go to whatismyip.com and type that into the address bar?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.