installing windows programs with multiple disks

Reaction score
I have an i Mac running windows xp. When I install a program with 3 or more disks it often installs ok until I get to the 3rd or 4th disk and then it stops and wont go any further. It will not recognize the 3rd or 4th disk but the same programs install just fine on a windows machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This occasionally happens because of the slot drive that the Mac uses. The Windows program does not properly detect when one disk has been ejected and another inserted. The best I can tell you is to keep trying, or if possible, combine the disk sets onto one disk.

In other words, if you have a program that's on three CDs, burn the three CDs to one DVD and then try. Usually (unless the disks are copied protected) that will work. Or, if you can afford an external drive, that would be even better.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
This occasionally happens because of the slot drive that the Mac uses. The Windows program does not properly detect when one disk has been ejected and another inserted. The best I can tell you is to keep trying, or if possible, combine the disk sets onto one disk.

In other words, if you have a program that's on three CDs, burn the three CDs to one DVD and then try. Usually (unless the disks are copied protected) that will work. Or, if you can afford an external drive, that would be even better.

Regards.
Thank you, that makes sense. I never could figure out why I couldn't install some programs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.