applescript to bring ichat window to front after message received

Reaction score
I've searched for something like this but haven't found it. I am aware of chax, but would prefer to just run a simple applescript to bring the chat window to the front if a new message is received. I have tried running the following when a message is received:

tell application "iChat"
activate
end tell

...but get a 1708 error.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Chax does flash icon in doc with Sender image when IM received but even it you did get the script sorted for making the IM window the front window would that work if u were in another App? Seems to me that would have to be a System Script not an iChat script. The standard iChat > Preferences does provide this;

Click for full size

PM me if u want an iChat Script to change around and test.

Reaction score
Well, when you tell an application something, you indent.
Code:
tell application "iChat"
     activate
end tell
And "activate" just tells iChat to open. Have you tried Growl with Chax? Growl displays the message in a little notification window.

Growl-en-iChat.png

Download Chax
Download Growl

But anyway, go to File > Open Dictionary... and select iChat (will post screenshots later, I'm away from my Mac now). That will give you some help with iChat AppleScript commands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.