Popcorn: Need some Installation Help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
I just bought and down loaded Popcorn from the Roxio site. They had a special and I paid $29.95 so I figured, what the ****?

Anyway, it downloaded as a .sit file. When I click the icon to install it, it says, "There is no default application specified to open the document "Popcorn_10_ESD.sit"". I'm not sure what that means. Do I need a special installer or something? Or can I open this with anything in my OS?

I'm running Tiger OSX (10.4.1). I know there are some issues that Popcorn and Tiger are having as of now, but the people that are having these issues can still install and use it, but only to an extent.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that is a compressed file, use stuffit expander to open it, the installer is inside.
try selecting it and click File>open with>select stuffit expander. or look in your utilities folder, or select the file, click file>get info>in the infoi window, in the open with tab, select stuffit expander, click change all.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is that in the OS? Or do I have to down load that? I know I had it in my previous OS but its not in Tiger. I dont think anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it should be in your utilities folder, or see my above post.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, no Stuffit on my computer. Would it be on the Tiger disk and could I just choose to install just Stuffit from the disk?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, It Looks Like I Found My Reply...

This kind of stinks, but whatever. Found this on a website after a Google search..

Found in this link: http://daringfireball.net/misc/2005/04/tiger_details
Tiger Details:
StuffIt Expander No Longer Included ?

StuffIt Expander is no longer included on a fresh installation of Mac OS X. If you installed as an upgrade, your old copy is left untouched, but if you do a clean installation, it isn’t installed.

On the plus side, the faceless BOMArchiveHelper application, which in 10.3 only expanded ‘.zip’ files, now expands ‘.gz’, ‘.tar’, ‘.bz2’, and possibly other open archive formats — and it does so much faster than StuffIt Expander. But, StuffIt’s own file formats (‘.sit’ and ‘.sitx’) aren’t open, and so if you want to be able to open them, you’ll need to install StuffIt Expander on your own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
o yea, tiger didnt come with it, get it at versiontracker.com, hopefully itll be a .dmg or .zip that tiger can open on its own.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just down loaded from Allume Systems. They have the Disk Image of their Stuffit Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.