Help with running any bittorrent client on Macbook

Reaction score
Hi,

Before I start I have to point out that I'm pretty much a novice with laptops/computers, so go easy!

Since changing my isp I have been unable to download anything through any bittorrent client. I've tried Tomato torrent, which gets stuck on the 'getting torrent info' part and Bits on Wheels, which gives me the tracking reply: 'problem communicating with web proxy server;

Here's what I've tried so far:

I tried to forward the ports, but had a problem getting my DNS numbers in order to set up a static IP (this doesn't mean much to me - was just following instructions!). My isp (virgin) said they couldn't give me the DNS numbers because my ip is dynamic and they will keep changing.

Any other suggestions as to a solution?

I have a 13" Macbook - pretty standard apart from a few upgrades to RAM and memory

Hopefully one of you nice experts might be able to help me out...

Reaction score
How are you connecting to the internet; directly from the modem via ethernet, or through a router of some sort?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Turn on uPNP on your virgin router and use Transmission on your Mac

OP
R
Reaction score
It's through a wireless router, but could connect it to the ethernet if it was an issue. Mrplow, please forgive my ignorance, but what is and how do I turn on uPNP - and what is transmission?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Transmission is a bit torrent client - Transmission

uPNP - universal plug and play will be switchable on your router

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.