• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to export HDimovies to make them readable by Screenplay Director Iomega

Reaction score
my exported HD Imovies (.mov or mp4) cannot be read by the Screenplay Director from Iomega. The driver of this ScreenPlayDirector is a kind of Windows media player I guess. I tried already several formats, but or there is no sound, or the sound is shocking. As for image I got the best result by imovie share -> quicktime -> H.264 export.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Looking at the device - it's kind of limited on audio codecs it supports:

"Audio Formats - MP3, AC3 (Dolby® Digital Encoding), WAV, OGG, WMA"

So - unless you have iMovie 09 and it supports more audio codecs in the movie containers; or unless the Screenplay Director supports more audio codecs in the video containers it supports (which I doubt at this point from your description) I'm thinking you'll need to export at the best settings you can, then transcode.

The only option I can think of is maybe exporting to a quicktime .mov and see if it lets you set the audio to mp3.

Basically - you need to have a video file with a container that is supported by Screenplay Director (File Types - .mkv, .avi, .asf, .iso, .vob, .mp4, .mov, .wmv, .flv, .ifo) using a video format that it likes (Video Formats - MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (AVI/VOB), MPEG-4 (AVI/DivX®/XViD), H.264, WMV, AVCHD) also containing audio that it likes (Audio Formats - MP3, AC3 (Dolby® Digital Encoding), WAV, OGG, WMA) - if you can't find all 3 that match up in iMovie on the export (it may take some looking around in the audio options on each export container supported in iMovie) then export the best you can so it plays right on the Mac, then use Handbrake to do a transcode and in the audio section make sure to select your output audio so it matches one of the formats the device likes.

Honestly tho, if it's still new and can be returned, I'd probably look at a different device that supports more audio/video combinations ( WD TV: WD TV Live HD Media Player ( WDBAAN0000NBK ) - Popcorn Hour - Welcome To Popcorn Hour - etc. - but check reviews first to make sure it'll work with your files. Personally, I have a Mac Mini hooked into my home theater working to play my media files). AAC is a pretty standard audio codec (and I think it's one of the defaults used by imovie on export) and AAC does not appear to be supported by your device.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for your reaction, I came finally to the same conclusion and will return the device. I did some 25 cross-tests, which all played well on my macbook AND on a windows laptop. But none of them gave a good result on the screenplay director. Some sound i achieved to get in Linear PCM, but not stable. So let any macuser be warned if he is seduced to buy this (could be) beautiful thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.