advice about quality/age of video card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nothing yet ... still salivating at the counter.
I'm eyeing a Imac 24" for sale on ebay. It's a bit scary, but it's within my city, I'm able to do local pickup. I'm asking lots of questions to make certain it's not stolen ... as the vendor is vague about his reason for selling.

I'm wondering about the quality of the unit (2.4ghz, 4Gb ram, 320HD) and especially the video card - I hope to get into video editing. I'm told it's an ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.

Any advice about where it lands on the scale of good/poor performance? How old would this machine be?

Reaction score
I'm eyeing a Imac 24" for sale on ebay. It's a bit scary, but it's within my city, I'm able to do local pickup. I'm asking lots of questions to make certain it's not stolen ... as the vendor is vague about his reason for selling.

I'm wondering about the quality of the unit (2.4ghz, 4Gb ram, 320HD) and especially the video card - I hope to get into video editing. I'm told it's an ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.

Any advice about where it lands on the scale of good/poor performance? How old would this machine be?

I have a similar machine. 2.8Ghz, 2G ram, 320HD and 2600 Pro.

From what I know. Mine, and the unit your considering, where made between mid '07 and mid '08.

I bought mine used and it came with about $500 worth of extra software and an external 250G harddrive. I paid $1200 for it about 4 months ago and the extended warranty is good until mid 2013. The "going rate" for similar machines was comparable but the extras made me buy the one that I have. I figured it was a fair deal.

The 2600 Pro is considered a decent GPU but nothing to write home about. I've read that for a dedicated gaming machine there are better choices. If video editing is anything like intensive gaming, you may wish for a GPU with at least 512mb.

I consider the overall performance of the machine excellent.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
If you suspect it to be stolen, maybe scribble down the serial number while looking at it, say you will think about it, then call Apple and check.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nothing yet ... still salivating at the counter.
I don't think I'm going to go for it ... starting bid is $1250 CAD. He's not offering any software. For another $200, I could buy a new 21" imac, more powerful processor, more room to upgrade memory, and the security of a warranty. (just to name the key points!)

Thankyou macforum for tipping me about mac2sell.com - it priced this unit at $950.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.