Over washed screen with vertical colour lines

Reaction score
Hey, hope someone can help me. I was getting ready for class and was cleaning my laptop with water and a bit of soap to get the grease marks of the screen so the students could see better. I guess I used too much water, coz next thing the screen flickered and then came on.

After a while all that came on was just the vertical color lines. I an 90% sure I didn't wet any other part of the laptop, just the screen. I have no idea what to do. Have been trying to dry it, but haven't had the courage to open it and don't know how to open the screen section anyways. I have been told it may be the graphics card, but how since I dont think I wet it.

Helpful comments ans suggestions appreciated :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Soap and water + notebook computer = disaster. :'(

Please see the forum sticky about spillages. LINK

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Bet u $$ to doughnuts the manual that came with your Mac warns about what to clean screen with, too late now, but have a look, so you will know next time.

Reaction score
might have to replace the screen. i'm dealing with a similar issue, but not caused by cleaning the screen. hook it up to an external monitor and see if that works. if it does, then you'll probably need a new screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.