Safari won't save the default Downloads Location

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I have a Windows 7 machine on the LAN and I routinely transfer files from the Macbook Pro running 10.6.2 and Safari 4.0.4. When I right click a file in Safari and download it, for some reason it automatically downloads to the downloads folder on the Windows 7 machine. Windows Vista and 7 have a "Downloads" folder in each users' home folder (wonder where they got that idea).
I keep setting the default download location, but it still saves to the Downloads folder on the Windows machine.
I do have the Windows machine mapped and its location is seen on the Mac's desktop. Once I right click and eject I don't have the problem; but sometimes I have to spend an hour or more transferring huge files from one machine to the other.

Edit: when I went to upload the two jpgs I attached to this message, the dialog went to the Windows 7 Desktop folder.
Why has my Macbook developed a crush on my Windows machine?

Screen shot 2010-02-02 at 8.31.19 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2010-02-02 at 8.33.36 PM.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's because you have the Win 7 machine mapped and is "seen" as the download location. Try specifying the full path of your download folder on the Mac in Safari's preferences instead. All you have now is "downloads".

Regards.

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
It's because you have the Win 7 machine mapped and is "seen" as the download location. Try specifying the full path of your download folder on the Mac in Safari's preferences instead. All you have now is "downloads".

Regards.

Where do I enter the full path?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Safari Preferences: General Tab: Select "Other" and specify full path of your downloads folder on the Mac.

Regards.

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Safari Preferences: General Tab: Select "Other" and specify full path of your downloads folder on the Mac.

Regards.

Maybe we have different versions of Safari.
I did exactly that and there is nowhere to "type" in the full path. It will only let me navigate to a folder.

Screen shot 2010-02-05 at 1.42.47 AM.jpg

Screen shot 2010-02-05 at 1.43.03 AM.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you select the full path of your downloads folder from the "other" option and then select the folder, the full path will be annotated in the PList file.

If that didn't work, try removing the Plist file (move to desktop) and try again.

Navigate to: /Users/your user name/Library/Safari/downloads.plist

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Regards.

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
When you select the full path of your downloads folder from the "other" option and then select the folder, the full path will be annotated in the PList file.

If that didn't work, try removing the Plist file (move to desktop) and try again.

Navigate to: /Users/your user name/Library/Safari/downloads.plist

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Regards.

You're wrong.
Going there via "other" does not annotate the full path. I'm not quite sure why you think it would.
Deleting the plist file also had no effect.
I believe this is called a "bug."
Observe.

View My Video

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.