Airport Extreme MB763LL/A or MC340LL/A?

Reaction score
I want an Airport Extreme. I can find the previous generation for around $60. Is the newest generation worth the extra $100. Who can tell me what's the difference between the last gen. and the new one?

Thanks,
Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
I dont know answer to your question but I have a question for you, where did you find it for $60?

Reaction score
MA073LL/A = single band, 10/100 ethernet
MB053LL/A = still single band, first gigabit version.

MB763LL/A = first dual band version.

The current version is MC340LL/A = dual band + greater range, purported "faster Time Machine backups."

On October 20, 2009, Apple unveiled the updated AirPort Extreme Base Station with antenna improvements resulting in wireless performance gains of both speed and range. Also stated is a resulting performance improvement/time reduction on Time Machine backups of up to 60%.

I'd say it's worth saving $100... the only differences are slight. Your call though...

Extra info culled from this thread: Airport Extreme Base Model Numbers - Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Unless you are going for distance - the squarish 'Mini style' units have a much greater range than the 'flying saucer' units, think that means Gigabit units and later which i think were also were 802.11n.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.