Airport Extreme (n only) and additional 802.11g access point

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)
I have my Airport Extreme set to "n only 5GHz" mode, and I also have a separate wireless G access point so that my sister's PC and other g-only devices can connect to the network.

The AE is the default gateway at 10.0.1.1, the G access point (Linksys WRV200) is 10.0.1.2, and has every service disabled (DHCP, etc.). Basically, it's a bridge for both networks.

When I connect to my N network, I can see my Airport Extreme and the rest to my Macs in the Finder, as well as iTunes shared libraries. I can also mount Airport Disk by double clicking the sharepoint in Finder and they mount on the desktop with the corresponding icon.

However, if I connect to my G network, my Airport Extreme doesn't show up, and my Macs have the ugly PC icon with a different device name. I can't see iTunes shared libraries either. When AE does show up (sporadically btw), it has the fugly PC icon.

I cannot connect to my Airport disks normally, i have to do an Option-K and go to afp://10.0.1.1/diskname to mount it. And even then, the drive has a different icon (nor the Airdisk one). Funny thing, when the drive mounts, the Airport Extreme shows up in the Finder with the correct icon. When I un-mount it, AE dissapears.

I don't have wireless AP isolation enabled, and no other security setting is set up on the G access point. I can't seem to be able to get both access points to play nice.

I know this is a mDNS responder/Bonjour issue. I also forwarded UDP and TCP ports from 5297 to 5354 to 10.0.1.1, without any luck.

Does anyone here have a clue about what the **** is going on?

Updates:
Connected to N
Connected to G

Thanks in advance.

OP
Wheeljack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Come on, really? no one?

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but if your AE is set to "n" only, and you've connected via your "g" network, wouldn't you expect not to see the "n" network and its accessories at that point? My understanding is the mac can only connect to one network at a time (one airport card per machine).

OP
Wheeljack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm no expert, but if your AE is set to "n" only, and you've connected via your "g" network, wouldn't you expect not to see the "n" network and its accessories at that point? My understanding is the mac can only connect to one network at a time (one airport card per machine).

Yes, except the AE and the G Access Point are connected via Ethernet. I can see the AE through the G access point because the G access point is a bridge. It's relaying packets from the G network to the AE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
10.0.1.1, the G access point (Linksys WRV200) is 10.0.1.2, and has every service disabled (DHCP, etc.).
Surely the Linksys should be set to provide DHCP for the entire LAN and the AE set to Bridge Mode.
I would have the Linksys set thus;

Click for full size

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.