Time machine solely as external wireless drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook V10.5.8 2.2G intel Core 2 Dou
Time Capsule solely as external wireless drive?

Hi all,
So here is my story. I live in a small apartment building that is set up with a linksys wireless router. That router is NOT in my apartment. I would like to be able to use my TC as just an external drive. I have a wired external drive now, but it become a pain in the a** plugging everything in when I want to move around music or pictures to an iphone/ipod. For now, I would like to set the TC up so I can access my music/photos/movies without having to plug the external drive in and out (of both the wall and computer).
If anyone could walk me through setting up the TC as a wireless drive only (for now). That would be great. I have tried with apple, but they want nothing to do with it.
I understand that I won't be able to hook up the net and the time capsule at the same time. That is okay, I just want to be able to get onto the TC wirelessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You need to edit your title ... Time Machine is OS X backing up app and i believe you mean Time Capsule ??
You might get a better response :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hook it up like you normally would except you just won't be plugging in a modem. You should still be able to access it via Airport. If you want to go on the Internet you would switch to the Linksys router and if you want to access your Time Capsule just switch to that.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook V10.5.8 2.2G intel Core 2 Dou
Thanks for the heads up on the title, tattooedmac.

Kash: If I just go through the set-up process and just opt not to 'set up a network' with the TC still be recognized by my computer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.